Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Time to replace my cat

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time to replace my cat

Well my truck officially sounds like an old lawn mower....and Ive noticed a lack in power and rev-ability.......like I'll stomp the gas doing 40 or 50k and the rpm seems likes it bogs down and dosent rise very much. So im guessing its my clogged up cat causing problems.

phoned3 places today, one said about $250, the next said closer to $700! and the 3rd said to delete the cat and put in some sort of glass pack so the O2 sensors get enough heat......

now I want to do what is cheapest and most effective.....Id like to delete the cat(no emission testing here) but how safe is it to do......?

what is the best route to take here? Id like to get it done asap. what have some of you guys paid to have it replaced?

any and all help is appreciated

Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
BF Veteran
Default RE: Time to replace my cat

19 hits and no replys.......

Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Missed this the first time around. My subscriptions got all messed up after the site redesign.

If it were me, I'd replace the catalytic converter with an aftermarket unit. You can get a Magnaflow universal high flow cat for $60-80 or a Magnaflow Direct fit cat for $145 from SummitRacing.com. Problem with the emissions monitoring system in your truck is that a universal high flow cat most likely will trigger an insufficient catalyst code. I'd go with the direct bolt in Magnaflow and replace it in your driveway.

First thing I would do is drop the cat out and drive it a bit. If it still feels sluggish, then the cat isn't your problem.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Kyle.Purchase the Magnaflow direct fit. I think Magnaflow has the best quality product and usually in stainless as well! Kyle is also right about testing the car without the cat on before you buy a new one. If it is still bogging then you know that it is not the problem. It could be a dirty MAF, bad O2 sensors, PCV valves, etc. 'Try before you buy' is a motto I go with so I dont waste money anymore. Also, Im pretty sure as posted before, if you don't want to spend any money on the cat and dont mind factory replacement, it should be warrantied for life. Check past posts. I would start with cleaning your K&N filter and then getting Radio Shack electrical cleaner and cleaning the K&N oil and dirt off your MAF first. That seems to have boosted up sluggish rides before in the forum. Peace.

Needles

Old 04-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Starting Member
minijosh is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm ordering from Summit Racing the Catco cat and the JBA exhaust. I thought about the magnaflow but the catco was only $20 more. Both are high flow so that's all I want. I called JBA and asked which one and he suggested a different type like a straight flow or something like that.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran

whoa, thanks guys........right now buying online is not an option.....unfortunatly.

although I called a place and they said they'd replace(i might be wrong) the 'catalyst' or something for half the price of the cheapest I previously found. something like $200.

It must be the cat that is pooched.....I had a certified mech. explain to me what happend...apparently the inside is like a "honeycomb" and that it broke apart and is ratteling.I can hear a clear unconsistent rattle right under the passenger side door. Sometimes it makes noise, sometimes it dosent.

I have an appointment for saturday. Is it common for a muffler shop to carry aftermarket cats? Ill ask about it then......

One more off topic Q...

What would be the "ideal" exhaust setup for me? Id like to go louder than the replica of the 40 on now. what can be done to the Y pipe? 2.75" piping? Performance isnt really my main goal but if i get a few, great......lookin for a nice throaty V8 rumble

feel free to yell at me for not searching 1st

Old 04-22-2007, 01:31 AM
BF Veteran

alright! well they convinced me to do what they called an "O2 sim" and from what i gather is taking off 1 O2 sensor and putting a dummy of some sort to fool the system to prevent a code from being thrown.

So they took off the cat and put a straight thru pipe on. along with minusing 1 O2.

Sounds great! very throaty like a V8 and it has alot more pick up just because my other cat was pretty clogged. Only wish I rememberd to grab the other spare O2 sensor from them those theives!!!!!!!! [:@]anyone know what ones worth retail?

but all in all very much worth the $287 i paid......with a 12 month warranty.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

$287 to make your vehicle illegal? LOL Nice good for you... If you were in the states, that shop would no longer be able to operate.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 AM
BF Veteran

and thank god im not........no emissions tests=a good thing

fixed my problem for cheaper.....and it sounds/drives better.....seems win win to me.....

your just jealous you cant do it [8D]

Old 04-23-2007, 02:48 AM
Starting Member
minijosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Where I live at in Arizona has no emissions testing either. It pays to live outside the city limits. [8D]
I bought the bolt up catco cat from summit. I'll take a video with old cat, new cat old exhaust and new cat and new exhaust. I'm so excited, just wish Summit would get it in and ship it asap.

Quick Reply: Time to replace my cat