Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Two mufflers or dual out muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
juanfpina is on a distinguished road
Default Two mufflers or dual out muffler

I've been looking at exhausts for a while and I've decided I wanna go with the flowmaster super 44. Now the only thing left is to decided go with a single in/dual out and run the piping to the other side, or make it a true dual and have two mufflers? I have a 97 2wd Blazer, 4.3 v6.
Anyone have any experiences? Money isn't really an issue, and I'd probably have a shop do the work so it's on there right. A nice sound, and some performance gain if possible are the goals.

Last edited by juanfpina; 01-20-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

You won't see any performance gain with true duals. Save yourself the money and just get a dual out. And imo blazers don't really look right with duals to begin with. Side duals behind your rear wheels doesn't look too bad keeps the stock look with better sound

Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM

So there's really no difference between dual or single out?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Not for our engines, plus they need a certain amount of back pressure.
I have a single in/dual out straight through muffler (look in the inlet & see out the outlets). It sounds great now that it has burned in (carbon'd up the inside a bit).
I have a high flow cat also. Not really needed but the opportunity was there so I had it swapped out.

Also a true dual set up can be a PITA especially on a 2WD with limited under carraige space to route the pipes.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:57 PM
BF Veteran

yea and plus true duals you would not only have to buy two mufflers but you would have to buy another catalytic converter. But yea dual outlet and single outlet it doesn't really make a difference its really more about what you want your exhaust to look like. I would guess that dual outlets are a little louder thats about it.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Not for our engines, plus they need a certain amount of back pressure.
This is not true, our engines do not require back pressure like most other automotive engines, and this has been discussed many times before. (Just ask swartlkk himself) Granted true duals by themselves will not create any noticeable difference than a single inlet dual outlet cat with 2 mufflers. Now if you were to add better headers and internal upgrades to your engine, you could reap extra benefits with true duals.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zanders
This is not true, our engines do not require back pressure like most other automotive engines, and this has been discussed many times before. (Just ask swartlkk himself) Granted true duals by themselves will not create any noticeable difference than a single inlet dual outlet cat with 2 mufflers. Now if you were to add better headers and internal upgrades to your engine, you could reap extra benefits with true duals.
Alright sorry but I thought I remembered seeing that the stock 4.3 needs a certain amount of back pressure.
True duals = yes I agree because the stock heads, cam profile & manifolds are the bottle necks. Even the intake has an effect on the exhaust of course, because if you have so much able to be exhausted & the amount of intake is limited - why bother other than for sound?

On an engine like I have though with the supercharger, cam, rockers etc, headers would be a decent option but the headers would still be flowing into the Y pipe. I'd have to increase the diameter of that Y pipe or pay for true duals. But like I said running true duals on our vehicles is tough & really not worth it financially.

<edit> the single inlet/dual outlet cat with 2 mufflers is a different setup than I have. I have a high flow cat in the Y pipe (pre cat removed) that runs into a single in/dual out muffler that's piped out behind each rear tire.

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-21-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 AM

So I decided I'll just go with the single in/dual out. Now what size piping should the dual outs be? From what I can see there's either 2.25" or 2.5", anyway to tell what size inlet my stock muffler has?
Would it be beneficial to get a high flow cat? Or should I just stick to the stock?

Last edited by juanfpina; 01-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
BF Veteran

the stock pipe size is 2.25". you could go with a 2.5" outlet make it look a little more agressive

Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zanders
Very true, An exhaust needs good velocity and scavenging. Large enough pipe to flow out all the exhaust gases and small enough also to keep the flow moving fast and hot. Backpressure is exactly what a motor doesn't want when its trying to push out burnt up exhaust. Its almost like putting a restriction on your intake so you can choke out the air supply

Quick Reply: Two mufflers or dual out muffler