Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What to do....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009 | 03:50 PM
|
Beginning Member
jonnyisback is on a distinguished road
Default What to do....

Im doing some upgrading on my 2000 2wd, 2dr blazer. It is currently 100% stock on almost everything. So heres what im going for. CAI from ebay with k&n filter with a custom heat shield, redo the air opening in the front end for the intake, exhaust and lastly a pcm tune from wait4me. Here is my question. I have decided to go with magnaflow exhaust system but im not sure on replacing the y-pipe. Is it worth it? am i going to throw codes after its done? etc. Secondly im looking at replacing my cat with a magnaflow high flow cat, everything stainless, magnaflow muffler 14" case, single in, dual out and having the exits past my bumper.

Is this setup good enough to give me better performance or would it be best to do the y pipe as well. FYI im not planning on doing headers.

Old 11-01-2009 | 08:30 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

I had a Magnaflow cat on my Firebird- less than a year after putting it on its clogged and needs to be replaced. I advise against them.

Old 11-01-2009 | 09:59 PM
|
Beginning Member

should i just keep the stock cat or is there a big difference between a high flow and a regular one? On a few other forums people have said that a cat is a cat, they are all honeycomb inside and the high flow ones are not any better. Basically should i go head and do the whole exhaust ( muffler, pipe, cat and y pipe) or just go with a replacement setup from the cat back.

Old 11-02-2009 | 09:53 AM
Kevo65 is on a distinguished road

I'd just do the cat-back.

"...dual out and having the exits past my bumper. "

Because of the gas tank location on 2dr, 2wd's you will have trouble terminating the exhaust anywhere other than the stock location.

Let me know what you come up with. I'm in the same boat.

Old 11-02-2009 | 12:42 PM
|
Beginning Member

yea, so far ive decided on either a single in/ out or a single in dual out with the pipes running out at stock location or having them exit just under my trailer hitch. Im going to call a local shop and see what they can do as well. Going all stainless and magnaflow on the muffler. I will probably replace the cat as well but im going to see what brands they carry. I dont want the sound to be horribly loud. Just trying to get the best performance with the sound being a +

Old 11-03-2009 | 08:19 PM
|
Beginning Member

anyone else have any opinions?

Old 11-03-2009 | 08:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could try lookin' around a bit reading what others have done, helping yourself rather than waiting for responses.

Old 11-04-2009 | 04:59 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i replaced the pre cat with a pipe and replaced the main cat with a magnaflow cat, then replaced the muffler and that made a decent amount of difference in acceleration.
The whole point of getting a high flow cat is to improve the shape of the restriction that the exhaust fumes have to travel through. Just like inlcines, steeper hills are harder to go up where shallow hills are easy to climb. Inclines are representing the slopes of the cat.

Old 11-06-2009 | 11:22 AM
|
Beginning Member

well i think ive decided to go with this muffler
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

and a new high flow cat. My main problem atm is trying to find a shop that can bend stainless and weld it. One shop can do it but wants $220 for the labor and pipe only, me buying the muffler and cat off ebay.

Old 11-06-2009 | 03:27 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

midas did my work and i wasnt dissapointed