Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

01 blazer leaf spring reset??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:49 AM
filoblazer is on a distinguished road
Default 01 blazer leaf spring reset??

Hey guys new to this lifting thing. I went to a 4wd place here in australia and wanted to lift my car. He recommended to reset the leaf spring by 50mm and lift the torsion bar 30 mm. Any of you guys done this before? Any good? Or is it better to just do a body lift? It's the same price for a reset leaf and to order a body lift. One thing how bout if I do both? Hope this make sense lol

Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Starting Member
blue_zr2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by filoblazer
Hey guys new to this lifting thing. I went to a 4wd place here in australia and wanted to lift my car. He recommended to reset the leaf spring by 50mm and lift the torsion bar 30 mm. Any of you guys done this before? Any good? Or is it better to just do a body lift? It's the same price for a reset leaf and to order a body lift. One thing how bout if I do both? Hope this make sense lol
just install a add a leaf or shackels...

Old 08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The type of lift you do depends on what your goal is. A suspension lift will get everything but the axles higher. A body lift lifts the body higher off the frame, but leaves everything underneath where it is. The main purpose for a body lift is to fit bigger tires. There's tons of information in the Lifting Tech section about the various lifts.

That being said, it sounds like what the shop is suggesting is re-arching your rear springs which will maintain the same ride quality while lifting your truck, and turning the T-bars up 1" (30mm). The T-bar lift can be done for free in your driveway with a simple socket, but you'll need an alignment afterwards. Most people replace the rear shackles (where the leaf's attach to the frame in the back) with taller ones to lift the rear end. Shackles can be bought online for pretty cheap, and can be done at home too with basic hand tools, but getting the old bolts out can be brutal since they're usually seized.

It really depends on how much you want to do on your own, or if you'd rather pay someone else to bust their knuckles. Most people on here are into turning their own wrenches, so most of the advice you will get will be geared that way. Good luck, and I hope this helps!