Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

4 lift in the front

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
first chevy is on a distinguished road
Default 4 lift in the front

For starters... 98 Blazer LS 15X8 Cragars 4in backspacing (some rubbing), planning on a 2 in body lift.

I had this idea the other day while talking to a buddy about lifting my truck. I was then thinking about putting the axle underneath the leaf springs giving me about 4 to 5 inches, I still have to check. My question for you guys is what can I do to lift the front end up 4 or 5 inches. Let me know any idea you have, I was thinking 2in key lift and I don't want to have to have 2 in coil spacers. I'll take any suggestions you guys have. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

Be specific - 2wd or 4wd. What size tire are you trying to fit and will it see the sway bars disconnected and some off-road use....?

2wd - lift spindles +springs. Get new TRW or MOOG ball joints and replace the arm bushings.

4wd - SAS kits, custom, Trailmaster or BDS lifts. There are no coils on a 4wd.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 PM

I have a 4wd 4 door. I must have not been thinking right when I said coil spacers. The reason I was thinking to do the SOA lift was to try to save money. I don't have the money or the BDS, which does seem like the best. I figured I could buy a SOA kit and then something else in the front; maybe longer control arms? Also the BS on my new wheels makes the tires hit the bottom of the fenders, so I will have to stay low with tire size unless I cut the fenders; 31s or 32s.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by first chevy
I have a 4wd 4 door. I must have not been thinking right when I said coil spacers. The reason I was thinking to do the SOA lift was to try to save money. I don't have the money or the BDS, which does seem like the best. I figured I could buy a SOA kit and then something else in the front; maybe longer control arms? Also the BS on my new wheels makes the tires hit the bottom of the fenders, so I will have to stay low with tire size unless I cut the fenders; 31s or 32s.
There are no long arm kits or high-angle CVs or balljoints for these trucks. The stock CV axles and control arms will allow for a couple of inches (typically 2-2.5") of extra ride height. The trailmaster/superlift/bds kits will drop the entire front axle and control arm mounts down a full 5" or 6" (depending on the kit) and then flip the rear axle below the springs to match with the front.

We're basically SOL when it comes to lifting on a budget

Last edited by mdehoogh; 02-19-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 PM

To mdehoogh I love what you have done to yours. I started looking into SAS kits they're about $600, but then I have to get a solid axle. Some kits us wrangler axles which seem easy enough, the trouble is getting the same bolt pattern. The way I'm looking at it now is if it's less than $2,096 (the BDS) than I would do it. 5 inch lift for a little more than a grand sounds real nice.