Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

add a leaf on top of shackles???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

hey guys, i just got some shackles in the mail. they are 2" lift but im wondering if i could also get the add a leaf to add another 1.5-2" in the rear. would this even be possible? and how would i keep the front end up with the rear? im only willing to crank the t bars up 1.5 and i have no idea how to get it any higher. im on a limited budget so i would like to keep it cheap.

thanks for any help guys.

also found these and was wondering if they would be worth it or not....

1994 - 1997 S10 Blazer 4X4 TORSION BAR KEY 3" LIFT KIT - eBay (item 200572930278 end time Apr-05-11 11:18:17 PDT)

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-24-2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

The torsion keys will allow for more lift, but you run into the same old problem with the angle of the cv shaft and other components. About 1.5 inches is all you can reasonably expect to get out of our rigs without going to a much bigger lift. You can go higher than 1.5" with the t-bar crank, but you'll go through front end parts faster.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

You have a 1st gen, get a 3" BL. They're not pricey, not difficult to install with a friend & you'll get a "safe-for-componants" lift.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have add a leafs with the same shackles you have lifts the rear about 3"

Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 PM

alright, so does that look alright with the lift in the front only 1.5 and the rear 3? isnt it all lobsided or anything?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran

my tbars are maxed so its almost level front and rear

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

alright. i need help with the shackles. i got the top bolts off but the bottom ones just keep spinning in the metal sleeve they are in and i cant get them out. i bent the shackle so i cant really put it back together... im gonna use my dads jeep tomorrow to go the the bumper to bumper over here. the autozone here wants 70 bucks for new bolts and bushings and they dont get here till this weekend so i need something now. i was going to get new ones if i cant get these ones off because i was just going to take a sawzall and cut the bolt. then drill the rubber out till i can pound it out.

unless you guys know a better way to get this out where i can save the bolts and bushings?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road

your bolts are seized to your bushing sleeves so you are gonna have to get new bushings for your spring eyes and new bolts you can get bushings from energy suspension or you try a porter power and alot of pb blaster but i had no luck myself with all the tools anybody could want and i still had to use a torch and pry bar to get them out and if you use a sawzall make sure you got plenty of blades i tryed that before the torch and smoked about 5 blades and only cut 2 bolts if you have a torch just get the bolt real hot and burn the bushing to get it soft and pop er out witha big screwdriver and 70 bucks is about the best deal you will get for bolts and bushing unless you have fastenal bolt store close by you might get some cheeper i gave 60 bucks just for my bushings and another 30 for bolts washers and all steel locknuts

Last edited by zr2dan; 03-24-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 PM

i think im gonna do this tomorrow. its too late and cold out right now. im just going to cut the old shackles so that i can take it off. i can pound out the bolt still attached to the bushing sleeve then and put the bushing in a vice and pound the bolt out with a mallet. then ill make sure to grease all the sleeves and bolts when i put them back in.

i dont really feel like spending 70 bucks on new bushings and bolts.

also my uncle showed me this website for parts. really helpful and great prices.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran

you will have to do what I did and hot torch the bushing out, you're lucky you only had the one in the leaf seize both of my bushings on the one side were shot. I just got 3/4" bolts from lowes and I think the new bushings were like $15 a peice. here is a pic of when I put the new leaf bushing in, it should fit very snug you'll have to hit it with a hammer, and then in the background you can see my friend with the torch heating up the frame bushing...

Quick Reply: add a leaf on top of shackles???