Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

budget lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

They don't make lift spindles for 4x4 blazers, only for 2wd s10's. Btw on another site (s10forum) guys have talked about the zr2 tbars, but they are the same as your stock tbars. Of course you are going to notice a difference since you are replacing your wore out tbars with new ones. What I would do is get the zr2 bars to replace the wore out ones, get 2" shackles and a 2" body lift. That will give your blazer a nice lifted look and you can fit bigger tires with maybe some fender trimming. That all depends on tire brand because most aren't true sizes. You need to read their specs regarding tire diameter.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM
bigmatt1 is on a distinguished road

Yea ur right. In fact, just a couple of days ago I was going over different size tires with my girlfriends uncle. He owns a mechanic shop that also sales rims/tires. He wants to charge me $175 a tire for some mastercraft all terrains. I went online and found some kuhmo mud tires (forgot the name) for $150 a tire. Looks like I'm buying online. Haha

It really sucks they don't offer some lifting springs, if there was a company who did, they would be makin some money.

What is the purpose of a tbar key? Does it attach to the end of the bars to extend the length or do u use it to lossen/tighten then bolt?

And wouldn't adjusting the front 1.5 inches and a 2 inch shackle for the back make my truck unlevel?

Also, I went on performance acc. Website and looked but didn't find a body lift for my year blazer.. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by bigmatt1; 04-05-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: blah
Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I think the cut off was 03 for some companies. But you can still use the kit. The torsion bar acts as your front spring. When you tighten the bolt you are lifting truck and if you start to remove the bolt, it lowers the truck.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 PM

haha. i looked under neath the front today and noticed there is no spring so ur right, the tbars act as the spring. thats kind of odd but ok.

i went to a speed shop today. a 2 inch body from performance accessories is $260. i called 2 other 4x4 shops in the area and one said $299 while the other said $499. wtf! is there a place i can buy just the 2 inch shackles? and since i will be lifting the front, is it best i have the tbar key or can i just go and turn it to raise it up like it is? i dont want to run into too many problems with ball joints going out etc.. so would it be best interest to buy upper control arms and keys?

and while doing the front lift of 2 inches, and by puttin a 2 inch lift shackle in the rear, will my truck sit level or the front will still be lower than the back?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:15 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigmatt1
Yea ur right. In fact, just a couple of days ago I was going over different size tires with my girlfriends uncle. He owns a mechanic shop that also sales rims/tires. He wants to charge me $175 a tire for some mastercraft all terrains. I went online and found some kuhmo mud tires (forgot the name) for $150 a tire. Looks like I'm buying online. Haha

It really sucks they don't offer some lifting springs, if there was a company who did, they would be makin some money.

What is the purpose of a tbar key? Does it attach to the end of the bars to extend the length or do u use it to lossen/tighten then bolt?

And wouldn't adjusting the front 1.5 inches and a 2 inch shackle for the back make my truck unlevel?

Also, I went on performance acc. Website and looked but didn't find a body lift for my year blazer.. Am I doing something wrong?
As far as tires go, the guy for the $175 tires... was he going to mount them for that price? If so, do it. Mounting is expensive. Also, get the M/T's in the Mastercraft line. I run them myself, good tires. They are made by Cooper Tires.
The key goes on the end of the torsion bar. The adjuster bolt pushes against the key. The new key will provide more lift when you crank them.

Also, check this out...

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rou...ft-p-8318.html

Looks like it has everything you would need to do a proper lift.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM

wow man thanks.

i did what u guys told me to do and researched a bit on the site bout the 2 inch kit by rough country. seems as though some people have problems with ball joints, idler arms, pitman arms, and cv boots.

how much would it cost me to replace all of these items, and which items usually go out first?

yes he was going to mount them for me. and he was going to charge me $300 to put the 2 inch susp. lift as well as a front end alignment. now im trying to see if i can do the lift with a guy i went to school with, him and his dad lifted a few trucks before..

Last edited by bigmatt1; 04-05-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: more info..
Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 PM

The last kit I pictured had ball joints, A-arms with it, so if the steering component's were bad, you would need to get them, also the half shafts. Check www.RockAuto.com for pricing, or your local Auto Zone, NAPA, etc. I would guess about about $250 for the steering & shafts. The Rough Country kit was really complete... I paid $1500 for my Rubicon Express 4.5" Jeep lift, so less than $500 looks pretty good.

Sorry, I saw you said boots, not half shafts... seamless boots are a bi-otch to change as you have to remove the shaft. There is a thing out there called a "quick boot" that has a seam so it can slide over. Again, if it is not torn, you do not need to replace it.

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 04-05-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM

I'm at a local auto parts store and they have shackles that are universal. They don't say how much it lifts it up but there are 3 different holes depending on how high u want to go then u jus mount the shacks accordingly. Would I be able to just buy the front end parts off of rough country along with 4 of their shocks instead of buying the shacks for the back that comes with the kit or do u think I should just get the kit and be done with it? The shackles here are $15 bucks which is lookin good haha

Old 04-05-2010, 06:08 PM

I can only assume the kit price is cheaper than buying the stuff separately. Looks like you'll need to do more research on cost first.

the link I added to the above post stated it was $429 and this additional info...

Rough Country 83-03 S10/15 Blazer/Jimmy 2" Suspension Lift

Kit Contents:

Front upper control arms with a newly redesigned ball joint mounting location for improved ball joint operating angle, ball joints, torsion bar adjuster keys, polyurethane bushings, (4) RC Nitro 9000 series shocks, rear lift shackles, and hardware.
Benefits:
• New Design! Easier Install!
• Increased ground clearance.
• 100% simple bolt-on installation.
Specs:
• Install Time: 4 - 6 hours
• Wheel Backspacing: Factory
• Recommended Tire Size: 31x10.50

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 04-05-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM

Lol lifting things is so complicated sometimes. I kno its easy to lower an s10 cuz I did it before but ohwell. I will just buy the 2 inch kit since it comes with everything.

The tbar keys lowers the tbar a little bit doesn't it? Cuz I noticed on my blazer that the keys on it are closer to the frame than the ones in ur pic above.

And all I kno is, I will prolly buy the body lift tomorrow, then wait til my new debit card comes in and buy the rough country kit online then do everything at one time. My truck will look funny cuz of the tires on it now but I will run them til they are almost balled, then get some new rubber. Lol but thanks for all the info man, I really do appreciate it and I hope to do the lift soon then post pics for u guys!

Quick Reply: budget lift