Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

gear availability and axles.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road
Default gear availability and axles.

So my Jimmy is now on 31s and has 3.42s. With the 3.06 1st gear that's not horrible, but I am used to more off the line and prefer to be a bit more in the torque band.

It's nothing I'll do tomorrow, but I'd like to run 3.73s. I have a ring and pinion for the rear on hand (we have 2 4th-gen f-bodies and another S-series in the family). I know nothing about the front diff on these things. How hard to change gears on it and where do you get 3.73s for them...?

My wife's suburban has 265/75-16s (~32") and runs 4.10s and it works good, but can spin easily in the slippery stuff even with it's 7,000lbs of blubber. I'd not want to go that far. I think 3.73s would be about right and if I remember right it's the standard issue for the ZR2s...

So.....has anyone done this....swap the front diff gears to 3.73s...? Where'd you get them..? How much of a PITB was it...?

Also....who has got aftermarket axles for their 7.5...? We've gone 11-ohs on a 7.5 torsen using factory axles with a cap girdle and arp studs, but that isn't with a solid locker on a 5,000lb truck caught in a tight space. The stockers might be up to it, but I don't have any personal experience on when they fail since the only part I've broke on a 7.5 in over 12 years (again - autoxing, hard driving, and drag racing) has been a fragged torsen (worm gear failure leading to catastrophic fubar).

Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

is this a fullsize blazer? if so the fronts are kinda iffy. ive got the axle shafts out from anywhere taking a hour to like 5 depending on rusty parts and broken stuff. you have to dissemble hubs and bearings and pull the shafts out.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i'm thinking it is a "S" series, with the reference to the ZR there. they all came with the option of 3.73's as well-my 4 door has 'em in there from the factory.

i mentioned that bit of info for you, since it may just be cheaper (and easier) for you to swap the whole front diff.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

To change out gears in the front diff you first have to drop it out of the vehicle. It is a split case and there is just no way to open it up until you drop it.