Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

HELP...lifting front end of blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Smokinjoker87 is on a distinguished road
Default HELP...lifting front end of blazer

ok i have spent hours looking all over the internet trying to figure out how to lift the front of my 1998 4dr 4wd blazer. I have a 2" body lift on it and want to go a little taller. i am also looking for 4" shackles for the rear so i need something for the front to match the rear. if you could please tell me how to and where to buy rear shackles and front shackles or whatever i need so please help i am going crazy here and am almost ready to give up. thanks. Chris G.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

you don't need to buy anything for the front end, just crank the torsion bars to match the height gained in the rear. and I wouldn't get 4" shackles that is way too long, won't pass inspection and could get your axle of of place. Most you should go with longer shackles is 2". if you want more than that you can go with 2" shackles and a set of add-a-leafs. I have 2" shackles in the rear with add-a-leafs and I'm lifted about 3" in the back. I have my torsion bars cranked the whole way gives me about 2-2.5" of lift in the front.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya if you were going to do 4" shackles you would be better off moving the leafsprings to the top of the axle instead. Then you still have the problem of matching the front and the only way to do that is cranking the Tbars(2.5" max even then it isn't going to be good on the front end) or a full lift kit($1500-$2500). Putting a solid front axle under the front would be the way to go if you were looking to lift anything more then 2" in the front suspension IMO, you could do it just as cheap if not cheaper then a lift kit too if you are smart about it.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 AM

SWAIN if you dont mind me asking where did you get your2" shackles?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran

I got mine off of ebay for $50

Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 PM

thanks benedict1337. thanks to both you guys you info has been helpful.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Starting Member

X2 on the ebay just make sure they look half decent. If you've ever looked at the stock ones they aren't made of much though haha.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:53 AM
BF Veteran

just don't get the $20 advance auto universal shackles those can lead to disaster

Old 10-09-2010, 02:25 AM

well i was on ebay and i found a set of shackles that are almost fully boxed and it comes with a set of tkeys for for $150. what do you guys think about tkeys?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Starting Member

Skip out on the torsion keys, do NOT buy them. Adjusting your torsion bars up all the way with the STOCK keys I wouldn't even recommend so I wouldn't go putting new keys in that will allow you to turn them up even more. Don't get greedy with the torsion bars haha, measure before you turn and measure after, 1.5" is all I would go...each full turn is roughly 1/4" depending how worn your Tbars are. Alignment should be the very first stop afterwards.

Oh, and if you live in the rust belt, plan on new bolts & bushings for your leaf springs when you put on the shackles. I had to cut my bolts and drill through the bushings to get them out then put in some Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings in with new bolts & lots of anti-seize. The bushing in the leafspring has a metal casing that goes around the bolt, then the rubber bushing, then a metal casing surrounding it that is pressed into the eye. You can imagine after 10+ years of that bolt being in the metal casing they get pretty darn stuck and are a PITA to get out. Remove the nut from the shackle bolt and try getting the bolt out & if it doesn't want to come out I would order up the polyurethane bushings & new bolts if the truck is your daily driver. If not go to town trying to get the bolt out but you might be down for a few days waiting for the bushings. You can also get them at a dealer but you'd need some sort of a press or heavy duty c-clamp/BJ tool to get them back in as I can imagine she'll be a tight fit. The polyurethane bushings just press in by hand with the supplied grease that is why I recommend them.

Last edited by Swain; 10-09-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP...lifting front end of blazer