Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

looking for add a leaf info!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Beginning Member
Tommyboy8299 is on a distinguished road
Default looking for add a leaf info!!

ive been searching and looking at all options for my lift on my 01 jimmy and i have big plans for her but i just want to make sure i touch base on all options i have done the t bar crank and doing my rear leaf shackles this week but im looking for a little more lift in the rear.... saw a add a leaf kit and i am curious about it... seems really easy..almost to easy so i just wanted to see if anyone else did this upgrade and if it is something i should look into and once i do the shackles and possibly the add a leaf how big of a tire and rim set up can i run... also going to put in pro com shocks all around to help with the lift

any help would be great.... thanks guys love this forum!!!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

full add a leaf will give you about 1" lift in the rear only, it will also stiffen the ride quite a bit.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

My add-a-leaf initally sat about 2.5" higher than before, but over the years (I've had it for 4 years now) my main leaf has continued to sag more and more on the part of the leaf that is unsupported by the AAL, so now I sit about 1.0" higher than original. I kept all my measurements for reference, and I'm sure the heavy loads I carry all the time make it a lot worse. The AAL definitely stiffens up the back suspension too. I went with the long AAL which is suppose to be a nicer ride than the short AAL. Makes it a whole lot nicer when carrying a heavy load or pulling a heavy trailer.

If you're thinking of doing an add-a-leaf you might also want to consider making your own like a few members on here have done. Find the main leaf from a Blazer leaf pack and cut off the eyes from each end. This way the extra leaf will be long enough to give support to the whole main leaf rather than leaving a section of the main leaf on it's own. Check out Warthogdriver's build for details on how he did this mod.

With a t-bar lift and shackles you should be able to run 30x9.5's, and some people have been able to run 31x10.5's but most need a 2" body lift as well to prevent the tires from rubbing on the back of the front fender.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 01-29-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Adding tire info