Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Making my own 6 inch shackles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
See i was worried about that too when i was working on my bumper while it was on my truck and everyone told me i was stupid and electronics wouldnt get fried because the current only goes from point A to point B and if there is nothing electrical in that path its fine. I still disconnected the battery just in case. Glad im not alone on that thought lol

OH we do too on any thing we weld.

we also do on our heavy equipment because of the computers they have.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yet I've seen the welding shop/muffler shop weld pipes etc all day long & NOT disconnect the ground. Even on any vehicles with any sort of computer, not just "muscle cars".

Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

really risky tho ID do it to be safe.

especially on our heavy equipment ... its just very riskfull and we dont need to replace those fancy computers... I bet there very costly.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran

OZ of prevention etc....
Disconnect the battery ground & weld away!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:21 PM
BF Guru

yep it dont hurt to do so... IT saves ya looking into your wallet for parts money just in case too. haha

Old 08-19-2012, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran

True, a PCM can be upwards of $125 or so.
But back to the OP I don't think he'll let that get by him. He'll get it welded up off the vehicle &/or remove the battery ground.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member
seanmurphy265 is on a distinguished road

That would be a little difficult to tig weld unless you have a small tig torch. As long as you have your mig welder set right you will have little to no splatter. I have a CNC plasma I could crank those out by the 100's all day long.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran

It's 1/4" steel, how difficult could it be? Mine welded up just fine with TIG. 1/8" 2% thoriated tungstun electrode or 3/32". The head of the gun/nozzel isn't that big.
Though you have to get closer with a TIG a MIG gun has a larger nozzel & the angles would be tougher in MIG than TIG in my experience.

Last edited by Rottidog; 08-21-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Beginning Member
seanmurphy265 is on a distinguished road

Welding the out side would be no problem at all. Welding that piece of angle iron would be a little more difficult. Considering mig welding is the easiest form of welding and there is less of a chance that someone would make a mistake. Take into that fact that the average person on this board probably does not own a tig welder as well. Not trying to debate you, but considering the average shade tree, DIY, weekend warrior type of person who visits these types of boards (myself included I am a fabricator but not a mechanic). Yes you could tig weld it just fine, but you could also mig weld it just as good, and it will also look just as good (taking the time to have your machine set properly with either process).

If it were going on my truck I would go a different route. I would fit everything together and heat it to 700 degrees F, and then use a 7018 1/8" welding rod and weld it that way. That's probably a little overboard but considering the amount of weight on the shackle, that it will have some movement, and vibrations from normal driving. This would ensure the shackle does not get too hard and will have some flex. Would the overall appearance be as good this way, probably not, but it would work dang good!