Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

My 1st gen lifting experiences and plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
uhlhazard is on a distinguished road
Default My 1st gen lifting experiences and plans

So my 1994 GMC T15 Jimmy with 235/75/15 bfg at's is a little sad on the trails with my buddies 6 inch lifted 33inch tired pos jeep.

I installed some 3.5 inch longer lift shackles which gave me just a bit of lift. (If you install shackles longer than 3.5 you will reduce your departure angles if you have a class 3 hitch like I have)

I cranked the tbars roughly 1.5 inches and they are pretty stout as it is.

I hate when my ride is level unless I'm fully loaded. Empty with a quarter tank of gas I'm level. This pissed me off so I made a bastard pack adding the 2nd smallest leaf from a 2nd gen 4 leaf pack to my existing stock 3 leaf pack.

This gained me 3/8 inch drop and perhaps .5 inch lift after install (due to locating axle higher up)

So here I am with SOME rake. Soon as I have few hundred lbs of cargo (almost always btw) it's level. Any more and the front again sits higher.

So now I'm doing an add-a-leaf for a friends burb which claims a 2 inch lift.

This would also give me the rake I want. Just wondering if my 125+ bucks will be well placed. Any of you guys doing this?

Here are a few pics of my lift results:

http://picasaweb.google.com/uhlhazar...stLockingDiff#

Don't try to open the door with the vehicles weight on the 2 corner wheels only, paint scratching inevitable and it probably wont close. Sounds like the SS Titanic with all the noises it makes articulating.

Ooh and IMPORTANTLY: What do you guys think about me losing my articulation abilities with the add a leaf?

Right now I go from bumpstop to shock dangling. I read that if I install +2 inch shocks, I will possibly no longer hit my bump stops and instead bottom out the shock.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have 2" shackles and an add-a-leaf and my rear is lifted about 3 inches, I have my torsion bars cranked the whole way and I sit about level, you could always go with the long add a leaf and the short add a leaf and it may give you 2 inches of lift on top of what the shackle lift gives you.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Ryan said it. you need to add the longer leafs to get more lift out of the pack.

also hae them re-arched for more lift.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM
uhlhazard is on a distinguished road

I am just worried about the rear having too many leafs and reducing my abilities to articulate. I know that leafs are a science and I don't want to act like I'm able to decipher spring rates and stuff like that.

I would rather add a nice long leaf than rearch my existing due solely to cost. However if rearching is only say 150 bucks for both then I'd definitely be down with that instead.

Thanks for the help guys.