Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

shackles first or Body lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Beginning Member
rekker94 is on a distinguished road
Default shackles first or Body lift

hello. I am new to the forum! I have a '99 4door, 4wd, LS. I've been dying to lift my truck. I've read that I could do 2" lift shacks and then crank the t-bars 2". But, to be honest, I really don't feel comfortable cranking the t-bars that much.

I also read that I could do a PA body lift. That seems easier to fit 31s on there, because that is my main goal.

So pretty much, my question is, should i do first, then next

A) 2" lift shacks and a 2" t-bar crank
B) 2" normal shakles (1" of lift) and a 1" t-bar crank
C) 2" PA body lift

If you guys have any recommendations as to what tires/rims to put on after the lift to make the tires stick out past the fenders just a hair with no rub/very slight rub, that would be great! Thanks!

P.S. I've done my research

Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

if your wanting to fit 31s underneath for cheap then of course the body lift would be the best bet, but alot of people with rusty blazers have broke the bolts off before, so theres more time into it. Most people on here gets the rought country 2.5 inch lift and a 2 inch BL. rough country just recently released there 6inch Lift for the s10 series.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Body lift first, gives you more room to work on other things

Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member
BMWDr is on a distinguished road

I just did mine last month but i went with a gen 1 3" body lift. You just have to order 2 extra 3" large body spacers and 4 small 3" spacers for the front bumper. the rear bumper is just a matter of making a small 3" bracket and trimming the bottom of the bumper.

this is with 31's. I have my front adjusted up a little but I have more than enough room. I had trimmed to front fenders a little to clear the 31's before i did the body lift and just had shackles and adjusted it up.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by newguy
Body lift first, gives you more room to work on other things
This. The body lift makes it a lot easier to work on your truck for other maintenance and modifications. The t-bar and shackle lift is pretty easy and cheap so it can be done almost any time.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by BMWDr
I just did mine last month but i went with a gen 1 3" body lift. You just have to order 2 extra 3" large body spacers and 4 small 3" spacers for the front bumper. the rear bumper is just a matter of making a small 3" bracket and trimming the bottom of the bumper.

this is with 31's. I have my front adjusted up a little but I have more than enough room. I had trimmed to front fenders a little to clear the 31's before i did the body lift and just had shackles and adjusted it up.
looks good! Just curious, are the extra spacers for more room for the tires? Stupid question I know haha

Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys for all your replies! I appreciate it! Any recommendations on which brand and where to get it from?

Also, I was looking at rims/tires. I was looking at Couger S 8s and 31x10.5x15 tires. I read that they rub the calibers slightly. Any other suggestions on wheels and Which brand of tires do you guys suggest?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Starting Member
01blazer16 is on a distinguished road

Bf goodrench all terrain

Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Beginning Member

any opinions on General Grabber AT2?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Starting Member
01blazer16 is on a distinguished road

I've heard they are good tires also