Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

shackles and t bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Beginning Member
zippy199 is on a distinguished road
Default shackles and t bar

i am planing on t bar cranking my blazer and i am seeing a lot of people talking about shackles. 1st what are shackles? 2nd do i need them if i t bar crank my truck? thank you. i am a super noob when it comes to this stuff. i did search.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member
PyroCustoms is on a distinguished road

shackles make your rear leaf springs connecting point lower equaling in your rear of the truck raising. shackles can be found at advanced for about 40 bucks i believe and they have 3 diff mounting points for high middle and a little bit of raise. But be careful with doing the fron t bar no more then 4-5 cranks if you need to do your front you can get the clamps from advanced that seperate your cprings of the big rubber groumets

Old 07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PyroCustoms
shackles make your rear leaf springs connecting point lower equaling in your rear of the truck raising. shackles can be found at advanced for about 40 bucks i believe and they have 3 diff mounting points for high middle and a little bit of raise. But be careful with doing the fron t bar no more then 4-5 cranks if you need to do your front you can get the clamps from advanced that seperate your cprings of the big rubber groumets
Well...almost...

Shackles raise your rear end because they are longer than the stock shackles that are currently on your truck. They do not make the "connecting" points higher or lower on the leaf spring, they increase the height between the rear of the leaf spring and the frame.

Also, not all tbar cranks are the same across all trucks. Rule of thumb is one full turn of the adjusting bolt in the clockwise direction will give you 1/4" rise, give or take depending on the condition of your tbars. MOST folks can get by fine with 1.5" of tbar manipulation without adverse affects to the front end, others can get as much as 2" before the front end starts eating itself. Most importantly, if you crank your tbars make sure you get an alignment as soon as possible.

Not sure what clamps you are talking about need to separate the spring from the grommet, though. That is a new one on me.

Do a quick search and you should find a step by step to very easily do a tbar crank that requires no more than a socket and ratchet, though I highly recommend getting the front end in the air on jackstands when doing it.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member
PyroCustoms is on a distinguished road

my bad on the info ive been doing a little research myself and im still trying to get the hang of the differences and what everything does. ive only had my blazer for a week now still learning. I also have a 2wd so im confused on if i want to go big or go home or go low n go slow =(?/ decisions decisions

Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

These are lift shackles...
http://www.tellico4x4.com/index.php/...4281_4742_3361
I would just do the torsion bars first and see how it sits... if it sits level enough, some people don't even bother with the rear.

Last edited by bandidolenny; 07-09-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Beginning Member
zippy199 is on a distinguished road

that's what i am, afraid of because the truck already has a lean to the passenger side. what could that be?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Could be a weak/broken leaf spring, weak torsion bar, lots of stuff, it's definitely suspension related though, unless you have something real heavy hiding in the panels on the passener side lol.

Have you bottomed the truck hard? My cousin's explorer did the same thing after he launched off a little hill (idiot) and it turned out to be bent control arms in the front suspension.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my shackles from www.synergyoffroad.com. It's run by one of our Blazer Forum members.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

i made my shakles and installed my lift earlier today
it can be a lot of work and if i had it to do again i'd probably have someone else do it lol.