Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

START HERE - lift kit list

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

"No lift or Torsion Bar tweak & 2" Rear Shackles
31's should fit with minor trimming/reshaping, anything larger needs lift."

I find this to be extremely accurate with my 04. Light torsion bar tweak & lift shackles that mostly just got rid of 200k miles of sag... Running aftermarket 15" wheels that have about 1" wider offset on either side compared to stock, my 31x10.5x15 tires just barely kiss the frame at full lock, had I not have hammered in the bottom of the fender and trimmed the lower valance under the bumper they would rub there for sure, it's close as it is.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:05 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default 2" lift and 31" tire fit

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
"No lift or Torsion Bar tweak & 2" Rear Shackles
31's should fit with minor trimming/reshaping, anything larger needs lift."

I find this to be extremely accurate with my 04. Light torsion bar tweak & lift shackles that mostly just got rid of 200k miles of sag... Running aftermarket 15" wheels that have about 1" wider offset on either side compared to stock, my 31x10.5x15 tires just barely kiss the frame at full lock, had I not have hammered in the bottom of the fender and trimmed the lower valance under the bumper they would rub there for sure, it's close as it is.
I complement what Blaze_red_4x4 posted:

My experience was that I had the tire shop install on my stock rims both 31x10.5R15 and 30x9.5R15 tires to test fit them. With no modifications to the body done, the larger of the two tires would rub on the frame-rail before the steering wheel was fully turned to one side or the other. The 30's had no interference problems with with lift. For me I was ok sacrificing 1/2" of height using the smaller tires to keep my modifications to a minimum.

Here's the specifics on my lift: https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...on-lift-95744/

Old 03-15-2018, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I was reading that the y pipe has to be modified when lift kit are added... Am I safe to assume that on the bigger ones? I'm planing to do the 2.5 lift and I was not planning on the y pipe...

Old 03-16-2018, 02:20 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
I was reading that the y pipe has to be modified when lift kit are added... Am I safe to assume that on the bigger ones? I'm planing to do the 2.5 lift and I was not planning on the y pipe...
Pretty sure nothing has to be done with the Y pipe

Old 03-16-2018, 05:44 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
You'll really only have to worry about that around 8-10+ inches of lift

Old 03-16-2018, 06:15 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks... better safe then sorry lol.... don't want to be almost done the job and run out of cash... she's my DD so I do what I can when I can...

Old 04-09-2018, 05:56 AM
Freewheel is on a distinguished road
Default Sits low in the rear with RC 2.5" lift

Hello! Newbie on the forum, i have a 1998 blazer that ive fitted a Rough country 2.5 lift to, with the correct front hub-to-fender height it still sits quite low in the rear! I wonder if it would be possible to do a rear axle flip and use lowering shackles to achieve another inch of lift? Anyone tryed it? Axle tube is about 2.5" springperches roughly 1" which equals 3.5 inches and add the leaf stacks with another 2.5" and you get 6 inches, thats common knowledge.
But, can i use lowering shackles to correct my stance? A 2inch lowering kit for the rear maybe? Or will there be terrible rake ayway...

Old 04-09-2018, 10:07 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Freewheel
Hello! Newbie on the forum, i have a 1998 blazer that ive fitted a Rough country 2.5 lift to, with the correct front hub-to-fender height it still sits quite low in the rear! I wonder if it would be possible to do a rear axle flip and use lowering shackles to achieve another inch of lift? Anyone tryed it? Axle tube is about 2.5" springperches roughly 1" which equals 3.5 inches and add the leaf stacks with another 2.5" and you get 6 inches, thats common knowledge.
But, can i use lowering shackles to correct my stance? A 2inch lowering kit for the rear maybe? Or will there be terrible rake ayway...
Two quick thoughts:
  • A simpler solution may be to find a pair of longer shackles.
  • If you by chance have a ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension, then those shocks are designed to pump up to level the ride height. This suspension also used a weaker set of leaf springs when matched with these shocks. I learned all this for my rig and my solution was to install shock mount extensions so to keep the same shocks and avoid needing to install new springs.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:57 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Before going to an axle flip to level it out, check to see if the springs are worn out. Most likely your springs are saggy. You'd be better off addressing this with new springs, or at least an add-a-leaf.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:17 AM
Freewheel is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, yes, i might be the spring thats saggy, previous owner has been hauling a horsebox alot...
I was thinking even longer shackles, but maybe they get much stress if you go seriously off road.? And another bonus if i axle flip, is that i get rid of the damper brackets and u-bolt ends pointing downwards and like to stick on tree stumps😲

Quick Reply: START HERE - lift kit list