Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

what should i use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Beginning Member
green w/ nv is on a distinguished road

i was gonna use tubing because i all ready have it, as a matter of fact, i have tons steel, my dads a steel fabricator. i thought it might save some weight. and for the bumper, i all ready have made big front and rear bumpers, they're more than big enough to cover that gap.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:09 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by green w/ nv
thank you jsmz, i have pipe too, as well as that dia. rod, so that'll work. I was wondering what the bumper mounts are for, i am also fabbing a new front bumper, is its a matter of clearance or something else? Thanks for everything
Easiest way to put it is that your bumpers are mounted to the frame.
If you lift your body, the bumpers won't lift with them since they are attached to the frame. You need to make bumper brackets to bring the bumpers up with the body to avoid a gap (which looks absolutely terrible IMO).
I'll give you an example of what it will look like. This member doesn't have bumper brackets and has a gap up front. No offense to the member if they see this, you have a nice truck but you need bumper brackets. I'm just using you as an example.

Oh and BTW - I too did NOT misread his post. I saw that he wanted to build his own, but using square hollow tubing is just a terrible idea for a body lift and raises MAJOR safety concerns in my eyes. If you're really that cheap use hockey pucks like Chris suggested. At least they are solid and mildly less dangerous. I've seen it done before also and it works pretty well, it's just not the safest option.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member

i would really appreciate it if people stopped calling me cheap, if i had the $ i would bu a kit, but i honestly have a few cents in my checking.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
redblzr4x4 is on a distinguished road

then how about poor?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Starting Member
1oldK5 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by redblzr4x4
then how about poor?
^ Lol RUDE.

Seriously we aren't saying your "cheap" more like the kits are cheap as in inexpensive. And since you can't afford the kit we are also saying that square tubing would NOT be the route to go due to it being unsafe.. Call me naive but I'm 19 and even I know that square tubing for a body lift is asking for something to go wrong...

Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by green w/ nv
i would really appreciate it if people stopped calling me cheap, if i had the $ i would bu a kit, but i honestly have a few cents in my checking.

duly noted. sorry, like 1oldK5 said, didn't mean that you are lacking in the cash department (i'm sure alot of us are-i know i am @ the moment!), it's just there are so many kits for a really good price out there. but if your Dad is a fabricator, then by all means learn how to do a custom kit. and be damn sure to post some pic's up of your kickass bumpers in a build. 'cause you sure as hell can't throw a teaser out there like that, and not show proof of your Dad's (and you?) made fab skillz.

Originally Posted by 1oldK5
Originally Posted by redblzr4x4
then how about poor?
^ Lol RUDE.

Seriously we aren't saying your "cheap" more like the kits are cheap as in inexpensive. And since you can't afford the kit we are also saying that square tubing would NOT be the route to go due to it being unsafe.. Call me naive but I'm 19 and even I know that square tubing for a body lift is asking for something to go wrong...
good call Shane.

and i think that was the general concensus we are all trying to relay.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
duly noted. sorry, like 1oldK5 said, didn't mean that you are lacking in the cash department (i'm sure alot of us are-i know i am @ the moment!), it's just there are so many kits for a really good price out there. but if your Dad is a fabricator, then by all means learn how to do a custom kit. and be damn sure to post some pic's up of your kickass bumpers in a build. 'cause you sure as hell can't throw a teaser out there like that, and not show proof of your Dad's (and you?) made fab skillz.

good call Shane.

and i think that was the general concensus we are all trying to relay.
Hell yea I know I'm definitely short on cash. Can't even afford to fix my tacoma so my blazer is now my DD AND I gotta spend 4 times the money on gas I used to spend on my tacoma, talk about bummer lol.

Yea usually seems that way all of us trying to get across 1 main message, just usually in different terms haha.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member

yeah, im only 16, work a few hrs after school 3 days a week. the blazer is my first car, so im new to lifts

Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Starting Member

Yea my blazer was my first car too luckily for me my dad owned it before me and I used to help him work on it so I knew my way around it somewhat.

Trust me it would probably be better and you will probably be more satisfied if you wait a little longer and just do things the right way instead of taking shortcuts, did it when I built my motor and I'm really glad I took the extra time to do it right.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

I agree that the tubing idea probably isn't the best. Let me thorw something out there though, and I'll preface it by saying this- I'm not implying that your dad is a bad fabricator or anything, but the material is certainly questionable to begin with. So with that disclaimer being put out there... What if the tubes fail or don't hold up and you end up with a repair bill on your hands because you got impatient and wanted a cosmetic improvement to your truck? What will cost more in the long run- the $150 kit? Or repairing any sudden, unforseen damage? Its your truck and I have no idea how well your dad can fab stuff up, so if you're confident in that aspect then by all means bro, give it a shot- you might get a solid kit built that you can now sell on here for some cash. But like I said, you might also end up with a repair bill on your hands.

Quick Reply: what should i use?