Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Would I be able to fit 31s?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member
02blazr is on a distinguished road
Default Would I be able to fit 31s?

Can I fit 31s if I put on some 1.5 inch daystar shackles and torsion bar crank ? I believe they would fit on the front because they do for most people with some trimming but i see alot of people have 2 inch shackles. reason for the daystar shackles is because they come with bolts and bushings. would i really need the bolts and bushings? because I could save alot of money without them and get the 2 inch shackles.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Starting Member
blaz is on a distinguished road

NO!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It depends on the tire, and it depends on if you're running factory rims or aftermarket rims. I tried 3 sets of different brand 31's on factory rims when I had just a t-bar crank and AAL, and one brand fit fine with no rubbing, and the other 2 rubbed the frame and the back of the front wheel well. If you're going to trim your fender then you should be able to fit 31's without any difficulty.

As for the bolts and bushings, you may be able to reuse them if your old ones aren't seized or rotted, but a lot of people end up destroying the bushing because the bolt is rusted into the sleeve. Personally, I'd just replace the old worn bolts and bushings while you already have the shackles off.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member

Okay thanks I ordered the shackle kit and now I'll save up for some new rims/tires I want craiger soft 8's for the rims. Any recommendation on backspacing? I want the wheels to pop out a bit but I don't want them to rub bad. I am going to try avoiding trimming as much as I can but if I really need to I will.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

With factory backspacing (6") you probably won't rub on the fender, but you quite possibly will rub on the frame. Most aftermarket rims have 4.5" backspacing, and would keep you from rubbing on the frame, but probably will make you rub on the back of the front fender. If you want the tires to stick out a bit more go with 4.5" of backspacing. This will cause more stress on your front end parts, especially the hubs. Just make sure you use quality parts and you should be fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM
sickman420 is on a distinguished road

Cragar does make a 16x8 soft 8 that has 5" backspacing. I believe a 31" tire equivalent is 245/75r16. That's the combo I was looking into until I found a.set of z28 wheels.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Starting Member

I still say no!

31's with a slight T-bar crank and stock rims pictured. If you hit any whoops it will also bottom out and rub the inner fender. If it is a street queen with street tires you may get by but it WILL rub.

Name:  newshoes003.jpg
Views: 8038
Size:  168.2 KB

Attached Thumbnails Would I be able to fit 31s?-tires020.jpg   Would I be able to fit 31s?-tires023.jpg   Would I be able to fit 31s?-tires024.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member

huh. idk maybe ill just keep stock size tires maybe go up to a 30 and just get rims that stick out more

Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 AM
BF Veteran

Blaz, I agree with you that on factory rims you will rub the frame & swaybar, as well as the fender if all you're doing is a T-bar crank and shackles. Like I said above, if you want to fit 31's with only a T-bar crank & shackles you will need to trim the fenders. There have been some people who have gotten away without doing that but most people do need to either do a body lift as well at the T-bar and shackles, or trim the fender to get some more room.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Starting Member

I mean no disrespect El_Beautor. I have seen people led down the "false" road on many forums. Blazer Forum had a good rep so I just figured I would throw in my 2 cents. I had no time on the first post but I think the Pics always help. I know I needed pics before all of my mods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would I be able to fit 31s?