Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1986 Military 6.2L Diesel starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Beginning Member
theinfamous is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blueblazer1982
i would look into converting that 24 to 12 volt system if you use it as a dd. that 24 volt stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

idk if those glow plugs are 12 or 24 volt. i think 12 but you should look into it. i didn't catch the military part
Oh good lord. So the guy at car quest possibly sold me 12V glowplugs instead of 24? indeed. It never even occured to me that it would be an issue. I did tell him that it was a military blazer and he seemed to know what I was talking about, but I've had much worse experiences with parts house guys selling bad components, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, the new plugs didn't help, even with a jump, (still just cranks, no sign of firing) so I towed it to a mechanic to have them look at it.

I'm in a bit of a tight spot because I'm trying to figure out if I should bring it back to the dealer to exchange to a different 4x4. The problem is, the thing is in very good shape for its age (97,000 miles) and if I exchange it for something different, I will be getting a newer truck, but with WAAAY more miles on it, possibly leaving me in the same pickle (possible constant and costly repairs) as this beast but with a much less cool and capable vehicle.

Oh and if I do that, they'll probably be making their money twice on me, and once again on somebody else.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Beginning Member

"The glow plugs and glow plug relay are 12-volt
components. Their 24-volt power supply is
reduced to 12-volt by the use of a resistor bank."

This is from that article that blazers.b.kewl posted. That sets my mind at ease that I did not waste my money on the plugs.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Beginning Member

Sooo... in the interest of helpful informations, I have decided to post what my mechanic told me. Somebody (not me) screwed up the wiring. One battery was not getting charged at all, and there was 24v running to the glowplug relay, which is obviously not correct. I have no clue how in the world the truck got me around for three months with this situation going on. 24v should have, and probably eventually did, fried the glowplugs.

I ran across wiring schematics for the CUCV on this site: http://brochures.slosh.com/

Pretty cool, and I wish I could print out all 1024 pages of the military manual, but I think that might slightly **** off the old ladies at the library.