Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

92 blazer 4 door dome light

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 AM
Starting Member
Cidium is on a distinguished road
Default 92 blazer 4 door dome light

The dome light will not work on both front doors but works on both rear doors. Is it just me or does it seem strange that both right and left front door switches would go out?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 AM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

could be a very random co-incidence.....check a bulb and check fuses first....if still a no go then use a multimeter and try to trace back to where the loss of power is

Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Starting Member

Got out there today and messed with the front door switches. As luck would have it one of the connectors on the drivers side was stuck on the switch and snapped in half, even after I used lube. The passenger side switch is faulty for sure, if I wiggle the switch stem it has one spot where the dome will come on. The switches are 3 bucks at Autozone so I'll just replace both and solder some extra wire on the drivers side, they hardly have an inch of showing wire.

Maybe someone could help me on one thing. The drivers side has 2 wires to the switch and passenger has one, is this right or is there one missing from the passenger side? I know the drivers side works because if I ground to body with the white wire the dome will come on. What is the other wire for?

thanks.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 AM

not sure, check a wiring diagram in a book or maybe online if you can find one...if the other one works fine with 2 then hey...no problem...does it look like it would have 3 on the back of the switch?...you could also test the voltages on each of them to see what does what when......other then that thats all i got on that....third wire on the drivers could just be another sensor for when the door opens for something other than the light...but ya..thats all i could help with that.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Starting Member

Done:

"Maybe someone could help me on one thing. The drivers side has 2 wires to the switch and passenger has one, is this right or is there one missing from the passenger side? I know the drivers side works because if I ground to body with the white wire the dome will come on. What is the other wire for?"

Think I figured this mystery second wire out. After looking over the wiring diagram for the door jam switches I saw no second wire on the drivers switch. Long story short, the second wire goes to the under dash interior light. This light wasn't working because of a burnt bub.

I also installed the (2) front jam switches today. Now I have dome light on both front doors. Crazy how both would go out at the same time, but this blazer is still new to me so who knows what the past history is?

Last edited by Cidium; 02-06-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: none
Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Crazy co-incidences when they happen like that.

Great to hear you got it all sorted out!

After some time you will know every little quirk of your blazer

Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Starting Member

I need to reopen this project:

I went to replace the step/courtesy bulbs under the dash today. Both, left and right were toast. The left bulb was black, the right bulb was frosted white on the inside. I replaced the left and it works fine, as soon as I replaced the right bulb it lasted about a second and turned frosted white on the inside. My manual doesn't have these lights on the wiring diagram so I am not sure what is all tied into these interior lights. It seems to me to cause a flash burnout it's getting too much voltage.

Anyone seen this happen before?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM

Hmm, would be an odd problem to get to much voltage to that unless something was seriously screwy in the voltage. possibility of just a bunk bulb.
Did you check the voltage to the socket with a multimeter?

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Starting Member

I thought of it being a bunk bulb till I noticed the bulb I was replacing had the same frosting on the inside. So, both bulbs failed, it appears from the same reason. I did pull out my meter to check the voltage but both probes won't fit into the bulb socket. At this point I was ready to call it a day and post up this problem to see it anyone else had this happen. I pretty much have to pull the lower panel and probably the socket to get a good reading on the leads/contacts.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Starting Member

Well, come to find out it might have been a bad bulb. I replaced the passenger side and both lights work now. I have no idea why it works now other than the new bulb I bought had a flaw. I am really starting to wonder what is going on with new parts it seems the quality has gone down hill.

Quick Reply: 92 blazer 4 door dome light