Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

95' Blazer mysterious electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 03:48 PM
mlhayes is on a distinguished road
Default 95' Blazer mysterious electrical problem

My truck died while driving, missfired when I tried to restart and now it just makes one single click like the starter is engaging but not turning over the engine. One day I tried to start it and kept hearing a faint clicking noise like a bad electrical connection. If I hold the key over it cranks slowly after 5 seconds or so of delay. Mine doesn't have a starter relay so I know it's not that. There could be a bad in-line fuse somewhere. Next on my list is to test the icm wiring to see if it's working. If that fails I'll look for bad ground.
It has a new fuel pump, new battery, new pre-engaged starter and solenoid, good voltage going the starter, good ground on the starter, good alternator, all visible grounds are good but I can't find the engine to chassis ground.

I'm confused. Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Old 08-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Starting Member
Camman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mlhayes
My truck died while driving, missfired when I tried to restart and now it just makes one single click like the starter is engaging but not turning over the engine. One day I tried to start it and kept hearing a faint clicking noise like a bad electrical connection. If I hold the key over it cranks slowly after 5 seconds or so of delay. Mine doesn't have a starter relay so I know it's not that. There could be a bad in-line fuse somewhere. Next on my list is to test the icm wiring to see if it's working. If that fails I'll look for bad ground.
It has a new fuel pump, new battery, new pre-engaged starter and solenoid, good voltage going the starter, good ground on the starter, good alternator, all visible grounds are good but I can't find the engine to chassis ground.

I'm confused. Any ideas are greatly appreciated
Try looking near your alternator, there should be 2 fusible links. Try fiddling with those wires while having your key on. That was my problem, it may not be yours but it's a start! Hope it's a help

Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 PM

Just tried to test those today and realized that something is draining my battery way to fast to keep the key in the on position. It dropped 5 v in 2 mins. I forgot to mention that the truck will not jumpstart, although the battery tested good. I trickle charged it last night to make sure it was full. The alternator is also working fine. There's a short somewhere that won't let me get enough power the the starter motor and drains my battery very fast.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:08 PM

It's always had trouble turning over. Sometimes it cranks slow, sometimes normally with a delayed start. I replaced the fuel pump because the engine would get bogged down when I accelrated, almost dying. When it died the last time it was while I was building acceleration after sitting at a traffic light. It hasn't started since, not even with a jump start.
Would a bad distributor and rotor cause a severe battery drain?