Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

97' Blazer battery draining

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Beginning Member
GrandpaDan is on a distinguished road
Default 97' Blazer battery draining

My fully charged battery will be dead in 3 days if I don't run the truck.
Using a test light between the -post on the battery and the ground cable, and pulling fuses, I find that there is no draw when I pull fuse #2 (Dome, cargo, visor, overhead console, glove box lamps. Power mirrors, horn relay, liftglass release motor, illuminated entry module, etc) and fuse #13 (clock, radio battery, CD player)

I expect the clock to draw power all the time, but I don't know how much it should draw...it certainly shouldn't drain the battery in a few days, though. I'll try to get a mA reading on that, but I suspect the "courtesy light" circuit.
When I close the door, the dome light stays on for about 90 seconds, not the 20 seconds the manual says.
A new interior lamp control module is $45.
Is that the most likely problem?
What has been the fix for others?

Battery is new, alternator/charging is good, nothing is "left on".

Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I agree that the courtesy light circuit is the likely suspect. My visor cover is broken and keeps the vanity light on. A handful of napkins closed between the cover and the headliner keep the light off. It's on my "fix it" list but for now it's an emergency stash of napkins. Pulling the glove box light bulb may make the drain go away. What is the draw with all the fuses in? Do both #2 and #13 have to be removed for the drain to get below .05 amps? I definitely want to investigate more before spending money.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine did the same thing until I disconnected the light circuit in my sun visors.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Beginning Member
GrandpaDan is on a distinguished road
Default It was the visors!

I'd look in at night, and not see any light at all...but I was driving and put my hand on the visor and it was warm...because the lights were on!
The visors fit so tight that they don't leak light when closed, and when I looked closer I could see that the switch wasn't closing because the cover was cracked.
Took out the bulbs, left it for a week and it cranked and started just fine at 23F.

I feel like an idiot. But at least I didn't buy anything!

I don't need those vanity lights...I'm not very vain. Besides, being able to see the old man driving this rig is kinda scary.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:21 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Besides, being able to see the old man driving this rig is kinda scary.[/QUOTE]

Know that feeling well - I don't feel 60 till I get up in the morning and look in the mirror and wonder just who the old fool is looking back at me ......