Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

97 blazer won't shut off...crazy !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member
zionatdirt is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, so I pulled the stop/ hazard fuse and the truck returned to normal operation except I assume I don't have brake lights. I suppose I should start looking for a short somewhere in the rear light harness ? Not sure what I have learned here....? Fuse was not blown.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

No, You still have a 'feedback' somewhere and there is either no connection or a very tenuous one to ignition from lighting circuits.
Check your stop switch itself and also pull the Cruise Control fuse and see what happens then. Yes, you have to put hazard fuse back to check that.
If the stop switch is good and the Cruise fuse* doesnt have any effect then I am thinking either hazard sw, MFS, or 'Body Relay Block', wherever that is on your vehicle.. near the left side of glove box if I'm right.

BTW: never ASSUME anything when troubleshooting. Often wastes time and effort. Bites me in the *** alla time, after all these years of knowing better.

sadly you have a 97 and my 99 diags wont work

*Reason I mention the Cruise is I had a Taurus that killed the engine everytime I set cruise. Problem in that case was the cruise control actuator, itself.

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-05-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member
Prom is on a distinguished road

Definately check the trailer light wiring, and I would also check the trailer before I pulled it again, might have damaged the wiring on it as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Beginning Member

I have it narrowed down to two fuses....
when the 15amp Turn/B/U fuse is out the truck shuts off and starts normal. With it plugged in the truck will run with keys out until I hit the brake pedal.release brake and truck has power. will not let me push shifter button.

However if the stop/haz fuse is pulled out then put back in,then restart the shift button works.

brake lights are on all the time and the turn signals still work even with the turn fuse out.I read something about checking the cruise stop switch located on transfer case if brake lights were on full time. It looked ok

Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 PM
BF Veteran

Okay. I think it's down to looking for any burn / overheat on the brake switch Might just replace the brake sw anyway.
or the Body relay block. Swap relays in there. sometimes contacts in those 'weld'

Do a search on how to remove replace hazard switch, pull it out and check for overheat. Of course do look at trailer plug but I dont think problem's there. It's all lighting circuit and your problem is crossover between lighing and ign. Check your owner manual on how to turn off DRL if applicable.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Beginning Member

FOUND IT !! the wires that plug into the brake switch were completely melted together. Not sure why but found it. Thanks everyone,very appreciated !! Dave.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by zionatdirt
FOUND IT !! the wires that plug into the brake switch were completely melted together. Not sure why but found it. Thanks everyone,very appreciated !! Dave.
Oh, good grief! I'm glad you found it.

here's what happened.. there are actually two switches in the brake switch.

The first -normally open- runs from lighting power and controls the brake lights through the hazard and turn signal switch, of course.
The second -normally closed- is powered from the ignition switch and its primary, but not only, function is to drop the cruise out when you press the brake.

You have a 97, the last of the half-*** wiring setups. If you'd had a 99, for example, the trailer lights have their own fuses in the underhood box and it likely wouldnt have happened. still suggest you check that trailer wiring out, putting in-line 10 amp fuses on each definitely wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-05-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help petty fog good advice once again. My trailer plug came apart and dragged on the road a bit wearing away some of the plastic to the brass...maybe that caused the heat ? gotta find some black tape for now,getting late,have to work early. thx again !

Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Beginning Member
gearhead23 is on a distinguished road

cant you pull the fuel pump fuse?