Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

98 Blazer power lock problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011 | 01:49 PM
|
Starting Member
Hang Loose is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer power lock problem.

Hey folks. About two months ago, the power lock fuse started blowing intermittently (every couple of weeks). Replace the fuse and everything worked fine. Last time the fuse blew, I replaced it and none of the power locks worked, but it did not blow the new fuse.
None of the power locks work now. All four doors, tailgate, or rear glass. Can't even open my tailgate now!
Is there a relay or something somewhere that's common to all six locks? Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Dave

Old 08-28-2011 | 02:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a short that eventually burned out the wire. Which fuse have you been replacing?

Attached Thumbnails 98 Blazer power lock problem.-98_pwr_lock_sch.gif  
Old 08-28-2011 | 02:09 PM
|
Starting Member

The 5A(?) mini fuse in the panel on the side of the dash(driver side) Don't remember the amperage of the fuse without going to look. It's blue.

Last edited by Hang Loose; 08-28-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2011 | 02:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are two fuses used in the power lock system, the MIR/LOC fuse (#7 - 10A) and the LCK PWR fuse (#14 - 15A). What is the label for the fuse you have been replacing?

Also, just in case you didn't notice, the power lock schematic is in my post above.

Do your power mirrors work?

Old 08-28-2011 | 02:20 PM
Starting Member
bromanjr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hang Loose
The 5A(?) mini fuse in the panel on the side of the dash(driver side) Don't remember the amperage of the fuse without going to look. It's blue.
Double-check that fuse amperage, my 2000 calls for a 15A fuse 14 in the inst panel fuse block, this feeds the door solenoids. not sure what amp blue fuses are.

There is also a 3A MIR/LCK fuse 7 under the hood for the switch signals.

Old 08-28-2011 | 02:23 PM
|
Starting Member

Just went out and checked. Been changing #14, a 15A fuse. Checked #7, there is a 5A fuse installed, and it is blown. Don't have a new one right now. Should it be a 10A instead of 5A?

Old 08-28-2011 | 02:24 PM
Administrator

Yes it should be a 10A fuse for #7 in the I/P fuse box on a '98. You may want to figure out why the fuses are blowing. The schematic I attached will give you pretty much all the details you need.

Old 08-28-2011 | 02:25 PM
Starting Member
bromanjr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hang Loose
Just went out and checked. Been changing #14, a 15A fuse. Checked #7, there is a 5A fuse installed, and it is blown. Don't have a new one right now. Should it be a 10A instead of 5A?
No, #7 under the hood is supposed to be 3A on my 2000, it only feeds the relay coils, if it's blown you may have a bad relay.

A 5A is probably safe to use, no larger.

Old 08-28-2011 | 02:31 PM
|
Starting Member

bromanjr : 2000 must be different. I'm talking about the dash panel. There's no MIR/LOC fuse in the underhood panel.

swartlkk : Thanks for the info and the schematic. Got a place to start now. Appreciate it.

Dave

Old 08-28-2011 | 02:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bromanjr
No, #7 under the hood is supposed to be 3A on my 2000, it only feeds the relay coils, if it's blown you may have a bad relay.

A 5A is probably safe to use, no larger.
Not according to the wiring diagram that is specific to a 98. Things changed between 98 & 99.

Even so, it doesn't mean that a relay is bad. Could still be a wiring issue. The vehicle is 13-14 years old with who knows how many owners.

Quick Reply: 98 Blazer power lock problem.