Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

98 yellow radio wire not putting any power out even when car is switched on

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:49 AM
wirespider01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 yellow radio wire not putting any power out even when car is switched on

Tonight I removed my old Delco radio/CD player. It couldn't read any Cd's and more. even after I cleaned the sensor and laser. Just kept kicking the Cd's out with a err message.

I didn't have a harness so I cut the end off the factory plug. I then started matching the wires to my Pioneer (I solder my wires together). When I started checking my power wires from old harness (plug) I found out there is no power coming from the yellow switch wire even after turning ignition on and starting it. First thing I did was check the fuses. The 12 volt to battery and the 12 volt switch radio fuse are good.I even tested the fuses with a meter.

Now what? I felt the wire all the way back about a foot until it reached a place where i think the harness goes into some plastic piece. No nick, hot spots or kinks.

I only have my panel out of the way of the radio as I didn't want to mess with the lights. Only thing unplugged is the rear hatch button. Just in case though i reconnected it and still nothing.

I have 12 volts from my one green wire when switch is turned on but I think its the power antenna wire and its not a heavy enough gage for me to swap. I have the oarnge continuous 12 volt wire thats also working.

I know I could run another wire over to the fuse box but I'd really like to know what happened to my factory yellow wire. Factory Stereo was still working when I took it out.

does anyone know of any more fuses on that yellow 12 volt switched wire? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help ahead of time,

Wade
98 Blazer LS

Last edited by wirespider01; 10-18-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Starting Member
marksoftball is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello wirespider01,

I grabbed this electrical stuff from my ALLdata account.
Not sure if it will help or not. I attached some diagrams too.

Mark

Radio

Voltage to the Radio is available at all times through the ORN (1140) wire. This circuit provides voltage for Radio station memory storage. It also provides voltage for the clock memory.

With the Ignition Switch in ACC or RUN, voltage is supplied to the Radio through the RADIO Fuse and the YEL (43) wire. Each speaker has its own pair of leads.

The Radio/Clock Display brightness is at full intensity with the Ignition Switch in ACC or RUN; voltage is supplied by the YEL (43) wire.

When the Park or Headlamps are turned on, voltage is supplied to the Radio through the BRN (9) wire. When the Radio senses this signal, the Radio switches voltage for the display from the YEL (43) wire to the GRY (8) wire. The display brightness is then controlled by the Panel and Interior Lamps Control Switch.

The Radio illumination bulb voltage is supplied by the GRY (8) wire.

Attached Thumbnails 98 yellow radio wire not putting any power out even when car is switched on-radio-connect-1.gif   98 yellow radio wire not putting any power out even when car is switched on-radio-power-ground.gif  
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM
wirespider01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mark...

The diagram does show no in line fuses in the yellow wire which leaves the 2 in the fuse box, Thanks.

The box is hot where the ign switch radio fuse goes in and the fuse is good. So I ran a fused wire over to it and hooked in. All is good now.

I have no idea what happened to the power to the yellow wire when the ignition switch is in the ACC or RUN position. Kind of makes me wonder if when clipping the old plug off, I somehow juiced the yellow wire with the 12 volt from the orange and fried it somewhere.

Thanks Mark,

Wade...

Old 10-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Starting Member
marksoftball is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to have helped. The Blazer Forum is the best.

Mark K

Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm glad I searched before I posted.....I have the same problem, only with different initial conditions. I had a non factory radio, and one day while fixing the 4x4 vacuum selinoid, I disconnected and re connected the battery and in that process the radio turned on, made a hell of a noise then all lights out (on radio only). I figured I had fried my radio, it was a cheap junkie, so I bought a new one only to have the same problem, all fuses fine but no power to the yellow wire. If I have to I'll just run another wire but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Found my problem, there was a 20 amp fuse for auxiliary power, in the door fuse box. Replaced that because it was blown and still had no radio, only to find I had put the buss connector together upside down, just a side note to everyone that apparently they do fit together that way.

Last edited by Thor_449; 11-20-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: found solution