Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

99 blazer cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer cluster issues

Good afternoon,

I have been reading threads assuming this would be something that had been gone over 100 times, but I'm reluctant to find anything. My blazer had been sitting for a while because I bought a civic for a static project. (to have something that sits high and something else that sits low) I finally got time to step away from the honda and found an issue with the Blazer. The oil pressure guage and voltmeter on my cluster work but nothing else does. (speedometer, odometer, temp, PRND321 etc..) My radio also will not come on. I just put a brand new battery in and all of the fuses relevant to the cluster are good. I'm stuck. Any help with the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:08 PM
JFMBlazer04 is on a distinguished road

Recently I had a similar issue with my '04 Blazer's instrument cluster. The fuel and temperature gauges would not register, the indicator lights would not come on when I turned the key to "run", and the shift indicator and odometer would not display when the engine was running.

The dealer service department traced the problem first to a defective ignition switch. Apparently, the computer that controls the cluster display was sensing that the switch was in "start" mode (at which point, all indicator lights should be "off" and the shift indicator and odometer should be off as well) when it was really in "run" mode.

When the problem re-occurred a week later, they found a blown fuse for the cruise control, which indicated a short somewhere in the harness for that component. So now I'm driving with a functioning cluster, but I can't use the cruise control. Small sacrifice, I suppose.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road

My cruise hasn't worked for quite a while now, but I have been driving my civic and when I do drive my blazer, it's only around two miles to work so I don't need it. Would you suggest checking for a possible short before heading straight for the switch? And did you just pull the fuse or did you replace it with one that could hold more current. (Dangerous I know, just wondering). Thank you for your response.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:52 PM
JFMBlazer04 is on a distinguished road

What they did was they completely disconnected the cruise control from the harness, because they determined that the short was in the wiring for the cruise control.

If you're able to isolate a short anywhere in the wiring (not an easy task, to say the least, unless you're an electrical line tech and/or have that kind of test equipment), definitely do that before swapping out the ignition switch.

Last edited by JFMBlazer04; 03-28-2014 at 01:57 PM.