Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Abs light/parking light rough start, pulled fuse problem starting gone.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Blackjackreno is on a distinguished road
Default Abs light/parking light rough start, pulled fuse problem starting gone.

So recently my abs lights would randomly turn on while driving and then sometimes stay on even if i turned engine off to restart. When the lights were off, i had no issues. When they came on id have low speed abs pulse and i could not start the vehicle without fluttering the gas. Lights on rough start, lights off no problems. I pulled the abs fuse and viola starts first crank of the engine everytime with no help from the gas pedal. I cleaned the sensors as per reading articles here that may be the issue for the abs malfunctioning. Worked nicely, no more warning dash lights. But when i put the fuse back in after cleaning the sensors to get rid of the lights. I still have the problem of rough start. So i pulled the fuse again to see if it would struggle still, but nope it immediately fired as if nothing was wrong again everytime. I drove it around like this and had no issues besides having no abs (since pulled the fuse etc). I am very confused.

2001 gmc jimmy 4x4 slt with 4 auto hi low
Parts recently replaced:
All plugs
Cap and rotor
Fresh oil
Coolant temp sensor

My question is would abs fuse being bad (looks a little burnt on the prongs, blueish black marks) cause bad start and why would it change for the better when i pull the fuse. Grounds were cleaned aswell. I am lost

Old 09-11-2019, 06:29 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

If there is heat damage to the fuse, even if it was not blown, it could indicate excessive current in the circuit. With excessive current comes heat and that can damage insulation and increase corrosion in wires and especially at terminals. I forget where the ABS fuse is but if you can see the back side of the fuse panel you might see some damage to the wiring. Also, I wonder if there is some damage to the wires neighboring to the ABS fuse so that when the ABS fuse is in, it mechanically is messing with the adjacent wiring causing the symptoms you describe.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Blackjackreno is on a distinguished road

Makes sense, ill be sure to update as soon as i take a look tonight!