Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

AD-244 swap problem help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Beginning Member
Sam's rustyY2K is on a distinguished road
Default AD-244 swap problem help?

I'm doing the AD-244 swap in my 2000 Blazer and I've run into a small problem that I'm hoping I can get some help on. I ordered what I thought was the "4 pin" connector model, but it showed up today and it was the "2 pin". I'm not blaming anyone because I honestly don't know if the mess up is on my side or theirs. I'd rather not argue with the shipper or pay for the shipping to return it for the correct one if I can avoid it.

Is there a way to adapt the small plug on the alternator to the larger plug on the truck? I don't mind doing some wiring or swapping to the smaller plug if need be.

A good wiring diagram would really help me to possible work around this problem. I searched the forum before I asked, but the only thing I found is someone with the reverse problem.

Thanks a bunch, Sam.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The two terminal AD244's (dr244?) were used on the 2005+ trucks. The two terminals correspond with the L & F terminals as found on the four terminal AD244. If you were only using two wires on the four pin connector, then you should be able to pick up a new two pin connector for a 2005+ Silverado and be good to go. Expect to pay around $15 at a dealer parts counter for this connector.

If you go this route, pin 1 would go to the PWM signal from the PCM and pin 2 would go to the charge indicator pin on the PCM. From the looks of the stock 2000 Blazer alternator wiring, only the L-terminal is used (should be a red wire). This would go to pin 1 on the two pin connector (pin numbers should be marked on the 2-pin connector body).

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The 2 pin model is a dr244 and uses the ecm to turn the alt one and off, the ad244 runs by itself and is what you need.

What you want requires tearing the alt apart and rebuilding it using the correct parts. Might as well get the correct part.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 AM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by neo71665
The 2 pin model is a dr244 and uses the ecm to turn the alt one and off, the ad244 runs by itself and is what you need.

What you want requires tearing the alt apart and rebuilding it using the correct parts. Might as well get the correct part.
Yeep, Got mine for $45 a year ago and this one can actually keep up with all my 12vlt powered goodies. MAke sure to get the 145amp one.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the PWM control that is built into the 98+ trucks, the two wire AD244 (dr244 as neo confirmed) can be used as is, just have to get the right plug for it. I think we all agree that PWM control isn't always the best, but it does work. You just have to hook the current small gauge red wire that goes into the stock 4 pin plug (L-terminal on the stock alternator) to the corresponding L-terminal in the new two wire plug.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Beginning Member

Awesome, thanks!

Looking at the plug, I see that it only has one red wire going into the position marked "L". Sounds like I just need to pick up one of the small 2 pin plugs and connect it to the "1" position.

I picked up this 240 amp model from Nation Alternator. I've met guys who have a wall of forward-facing lights or a mega stereo that they need to power and the stock CS130 is not up to the task.

The AD-244 swap makes sense because a comparable aftermarket CS130 costs more and still doesn't have the amp rating. I also recall something on here about how the AD-244 yields more at idle than the stock alternator.

I'm doing the swap for a slightly different reason. I do some casual trails and in the summer, I work maintaining a summer camp. There are lots of situations where I'm off on some trail working on a fence, a gate or a building and AC or DC power would be great. I know some of the other workers drag around a small generator, or try the OBA thing. I found that a heavy duty alternator and inverter combo for work (and the trail) is cheaper than air or a generator. A generator is a pain to lug around for small stuff, and OBA is complicated and limited to tools that run on air. I have already made a significant investment in AC power tools so I don't want to buy the same stuff in air tools again. I can carry a 100' extension cord way in way less space than 100' of air line. The setup is simple and for most jobs the power tools do fine. I'm looking at running a direct DC line off the alternator for the tools that can run on DC and a high idle switch for slightly higher belt speed.

Thanks again for the help, I know how the power works, but I couldn't find anything on the control plug.

Swartlkk: I just noticed where you are. I used to live in Farmington and spent a few years with the Farmington Volunteer Fire Department. Good people. Have you done anything with Friday's or Good Times, or Mudnuts? I was a member in Mudnuts back in the "good old days" before everything got shut down and have been going to the Manchester mudbogs since around 2000. Does the name "Dopple" ring any bells?

Sam.

Last edited by Sam's rustyY2K; 12-30-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I have an ad244, a power inverter, and on board air in my blazer. With the winch, lights, and all that I had to run a bigger alt. Thinking about running 2 alts and another battery.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member

nice.

I imagine that would get difficult to find good routing for belt surface area. For OBA, I assume you're pumping off an electric pump? At that point I'd almost start looking for some way to run it off the flywheel gear.

For me a 240 amp alternator and an inverter runs most anything I'd ever need. The key is that I'm never running everything at once and nothing is on a 100% duty cycle. I also have a second battery to handle the surge of turning on tools. A switch can isolate it for radio operations.

Sam