Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Adding factory power options; harness interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:45 PM
jlenko is on a distinguished road
Default Adding factory power options; harness interchangeability

Greetings folks.. I'm new to the Blazer world but been working GM's for years and I'm no stranger to wiring things - I'm an electrician by trade and have re-harnessed many J-body cars.. so I'm not scared

I searched.. but could not quite find the answer I was looking for.

I just picked up an 05 Blazer LS.. with no power options. Nothing.. diddly squat. Not even mirrors in the visors, lights would be a stretch. So I'm assuming the General wired up my Blazer for exactly what it was RPO'ed with.. which means, so there are likely no un-used wires in the doors for hooking up power locks/mirrors/windows, or in the floor for heated/powered seats. I noticed there are no tabs in the fuse holders for most of the options I want to add.. so I decided the easiest way to start my wiring mods is to swap in a harness from a fully optioned vehicle and go from there.

I found a local fellow parting out a 2000 Blazer 4 door, package option 3 (RPO code 1SC). Looks to be fully loaded, as it's got power windows, locks, power seats, mirrors, leather steering wheel with head unit controls, etc. Basically all the things I want to stuff into my 2dr..

Eventually, my goal is to add all the factory options I don't have. Power locks & an aftermarket remote starter are my first priorities. Power windows/heated mirrors/power seats next up (once I find the right colour.. mine are graphite, potential donor is shale/pewter). Eventually cruise control, fog lights, maybe put a factory stereo back in so I don't have to try to remember the faceplate (crime is bad where I park..). Not sure if the Bose would fit.. a factory CD/MP3 player would suit me well enough though.

So.. I figure pull the interior, then the harness. Looks like there's separate engine/front lighting/dash/body harnesses, and then one for each door? So if I use a four-door as donor.. just lop off the connectors I don't need (700/800 zone wiring) and tie back the rest for now.

I have access to GM's service information, so looking up stuff in the factory service manuals isn't an issue. Wiring diagrams don't scare me.. I've customized lots of harnesses in the past, eg. modified a 4dr Sunfire harness to fit my L67-powered Crapalier convertible.. so simply pulling and swapping a stock harness is easy in comparison. Yes, it's a lot of work but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Anyone bothered to do this before? Any tips/tricks? Things I need to look out for?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 PM

Ok, I figured out how to pull the dash out. Will be pulling the seats next, and taking the whole dash & body harness.

I'd like to swap the cruise control over. I don't see a plug under my hood for it.. so I'm assuming I'm going to have to graft in at least a few wires to my engine harness.. unless it's directly connected to the dash harness like it is on many other GM vehicles?

I took out the whole column.. so I'll swap the works as one shot (tilt, steering wheel radio controls, cruise arm, etc)

Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 PM

Oh I forgot.. pulled the wires out of both front doors. Grabbed the power heated mirrors too. I guess I'm going to want the factory power lock mechanisms too? Looks like it's more than just lock & unlock as there were three connectors to each side. Some sort of handle sense -> dome light enable I imagine? I don't believe my Blazer has that at the moment, or it's not working. (Just like the hatch release that keeps blowing fuses!)

Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 PM

Today I pulled the rest of the wiring harness (grabbed from the fuse box under the hood, all the way back to the tailgate). I know it's too long and has rear door wiring in it, stuff I can cut out and graft in what I need. The front door wiring, seats and power options are what I'm really after.

I cannot figure out how to remove the door glass from the motor/regulator assembly. I can drill out the regulator assembly, but how does the glass come apart from the regulator??

Bueller? Bueller?

Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 PM

Ok, got the windows figured out. The driver's side lock assembly was broken in half, looks like the plastic fatigued and snapped, old damage though.. I'll have to try and find one at the wreckers.

I managed to pull the trailer wiring harness, but it looks like it was never used. A bunch or tape still around it with a very GM-looking label saying to disconnect the battery before undoing the tape on the wires.. which were all tucked up under the rear bumper. The front was cut off though.. I'll have to figure out where they go using the GM service manual.

Next step is disassembling my truck and splicing it all in!