Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Bent Front End

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road
Default Bent Front End

Hey guys, I noticed some odd things with my front end a while ago that really irritate my OCD.

The headlights, both installed correctly, are different space from the fender panels. One is like a full inch, the other maybe a quarter.

I had to trim the end of my bumper in my wheel well because it extended a good inch past where it should line up with the fender flare and actually rubbed my new tires. Only on the driver's side though, and yes, the bumper was correctly on.

What I am curious about is what could be bent? I know this is a long shot but if anyone had any ideas on what COULD be bent, or where I should look to find something bent, please toss them out there. I eventually want to fix this.

All I know is that before I got this Blazer it definitely was in some sort of front end collision.

Also, if I take off my grill, that plastic shroud in front of the radiator is cracked in two.

Edit: Not a clue why I put this in Lighting & Electrical. Anyone care to move it to wherever she should be?

Last edited by BigEffingHammer; 12-13-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Bumper mounts & we have more than a few of them could be bent. I've removed my front bumper a few times & each time it's a (female dog in heat) to get it back aligned properly. Some of the brackets are | & some are \ or /.
I'd compare left to right in any & every aspect you can think of. Look at bumper mounts, grille clip positions, headlights (because they mount on the front clip that's not attached to the bumper, but the body). L/R & up & down. See what looks odd & then look as to why. Look down the back of the rad at the frame on either side & see if one side is out. If you see something that doesn't add up, look deeper as to why, compare. Look at the metal panel that the headlight rubber stems poke through, look for wrinkles, things that don't line up from one side to the other.
Sorry man, all of that was thinking outloud, in a way. Sounds like things moved to the DS like "they" went through an intersection & got hit on the PS, might even be the end of the frames by the bumper. How do the gaps between the fenders & the doors line up, are they equal on both DS & PS? How does the hood sit, equal all along the sides/fenders?

Finding any dissimilar spaces should lead you to the issue

Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Bumper mounts & we have more than a few of them could be bent. I've removed my front bumper a few times & each time it's a (female dog in heat) to get it back aligned properly. Some of the brackets are | & some are \ or /.
I'm pretty confident in the fact that I got the bumper mounted correctly on all the mounts. Last time I put it back on, as I was tightening each one I tried to make sure it was straight and I believe they are.
I'd compare left to right in any & every aspect you can think of. Look at bumper mounts, grille clip positions, headlights (because they mount on the front clip that's not attached to the bumper, but the body). L/R & up & down. See what looks odd & then look as to why.
The grille clip positions are all in their correct spots, I've taken the grille off and checked it then re put it back on many times trying to solve this. Headlights, same as the grille. I have removed and put back on so many times thinking this was a user-fault, but each time I put them back on correctly, nothing changes.
Look down the back of the rad at the frame on either side & see if one side is out. If you see something that doesn't add up, look deeper as to why, compare. Look at the metal panel that the headlight rubber stems poke through, look for wrinkles, things that don't line up from one side to the other.
That all looks normal.
Sorry man, all of that was thinking outloud, in a way.
Don't worry, thinking outloud is not a bad thing.
Sounds like things moved to the DS like "they" went through an intersection & got hit on the PS, might even be the end of the frames by the bumper.
That's what I had been thinking.
How do the gaps between the fenders & the doors line up, are they equal on both DS & PS? How does the hood sit, equal all along the sides/fenders?
Space between the fenders and doors is identical on both sides and line up perfectly. Same goes for the hood.

Finding any dissimilar spaces should lead you to the issue
One would assume. :P