Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Burning Up Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:35 AM
Beginning Member
mickey_bigdaddy is on a distinguished road
Default Burning Up Alternators

'99 Blazer, 2WD, Automatic, 4 Dr.

I think I have a problem that has been brewing for a few months. First, I am now on my 3rd alternator and one brand new battery in the last month.

I noticed that I was having electrical problems after my transmission was rebuilt by a local shop. In the first HEAVY rain after the rebuild, my engine stuttered and the ABS light came on. Next HEAVY rain, the ABS light came on again. Eventually, the ABS light stopped coming on in the rain. About a month ago, in HEAVY rain, I noticed my dash voltage gage dropping. I had the battery checked and it was bad so I changed it to an Optima Red Top. Next week it rained again and the voltage gage again started dropping so I had the alternator checked and it was bad. Right after I put the new alternator in, I checked the alternator voltage and it was about 13.8 V.

This past week, it rained HEAVY again and sure enough all my gages started to go down and my battery died. I checked the voltage right before the blazer died and the alternator was around 10.5 V.

Suggestions please. I don't really want to buy another alternator and have to pay for it again. I'd like to diagnose the problem this time.