Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

A/C Control Module?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 08:43 PM
Beginning Member
aloha is on a distinguished road

I checked the codes using a OBD2 scanner. Came up with a few codes but they were GM codes. I took the car to the local shop that has a better scanner. Three pertinent codes came up. B0229 Recirc position feedback. B3761 Air flow control feedback circuit and 41500 inter device dedicated bus fault.

The mechanic said the code for the HVAC I installed came back with codes from a 2000 blazer which he said would not work and that I need the specific year.
Anyone have experience with this?

I am looking for a specific year controller.

Thank you,
John

Old 01-06-2022, 04:24 AM
Beginning Member
RedSledge is on a distinguished road

Admin please delete this. Everything I wrote disappeared.

Last edited by RedSledge; 01-06-2022 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Original wasn't save correctly
Old 01-06-2022, 05:01 AM
Beginning Member
Default Control Module part numbers

I'm under the impression that the ECC control module is the same for all 2nd Gen Blazers with auto temp. The only original GM control module p/n I know about is 15756179 - see 2nd pic. That number was superseded by p/n 19370212 which is GM's p/n for the Dorman refurb unit. But it's not available from GM anymore, and Dorman doesn't even list it anymore, they only show the 599-261 unit for Blazers with standard (manual control) A/C. One of those is listed
on Amazon here on Amazon here
. But it won't work for Auto Temp rigs unless you were to change the whole system over to manual control. Probably not feasible.

The 599-260 pictured below that I took out of my Blazer is listed for the Silverado, Avalanche, and Yukon only.
If you look closely at the top surface (over the plug socket), you can see the remains of the original GM part number sticker.

The GM ECC module pictured above has been out of production for years. This NOS unit was obtained from a dealer in Puerto Rico.

Last edited by RedSledge; 01-06-2022 at 06:25 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member

Hello Red, thanks for the info. Above is the original unit I removed. #09356175. The first unit I purchased on eBay showed the correct part number in the photo but sent a unit with a part number of 15758149. Apparently the ECC does not recognize this unit. I just ordered another one with the original part number hopefully they send the correct one. Will keep you posted.
JM

Old 01-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by aloha

Hello Red, thanks for the info. Above is the original unit I removed. #09356175. The first unit I purchased on eBay showed the correct part number in the photo but sent a unit with a part number of 15758149. Apparently the ECC does not recognize this unit. I just ordered another one with the original part number hopefully they send the correct one. Will keep you posted.
JM

Yet another mystery . . .

That sticker on yours would seem to make my p/n information invalid. However, when GM did the engineering change on the blend door actuator, they changed to a new part number so you could tell the upgraded part from the old one. I wonder if they did the same thing with these control modules. Mine is a '99 and I got the original p/n from one of the online GM parts outlets after entering my vehicle specifics. Are earlier models different? The zero prefix on yours would seem to indicate so. But, like the blend door actuator, the newer p/n is still more likely than not to be the valid replacement for the earlier years. The problem is finding one.

If you're certain it's the control module that's at fault, and you can't find a working replacement, the only other option is finding a competent technician who can diagnose & repair circuit boards. That's what I had to do with a malfunctioning DVR I once had. Turned out to be just a blown (bulged) capacitor.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:17 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by RedSledge
Yet another mystery . . .

That sticker on yours would seem to make my p/n information invalid. However, when GM did the engineering change on the blend door actuator, they changed to a new part number so you could tell the upgraded part from the old one. I wonder if they did the same thing with these control modules. Mine is a '99 and I got the original p/n from one of the online GM parts outlets after entering my vehicle specifics. Are earlier models different? The zero prefix on yours would seem to indicate so. But, like the blend door actuator, the newer p/n is still more likely than not to be the valid replacement for the earlier years. The problem is finding one.

If you're certain it's the control module that's at fault, and you can't find a working replacement, the only other option is finding a competent technician who can diagnose & repair circuit boards. That's what I had to do with a malfunctioning DVR I once had. Turned out to be just a blown (bulged) capacitor.
Having this one gone through is a good idea. Will do some research.
JM

Old 02-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Beginning Member

Just to complete this thread I sent the module to United Radio in New York. It was returned as no longer repairable do to parts availability. I did learn that the module is year specific. I received a three used modules from Ebay stating that the part number sent would work. I located a wreaking yard in Oregon and asked specifically to send the original part number. Once received the module worked fine.

Thanks for all the help in this thread,
JM

Old 02-28-2022, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

Congrats! Goes to show persistence pays off. But I'm really curious about all those Ebay modules. Were they all different P/Ns? Did none of them work? How much did you have to spend all tolled before you finally got the working one?

As an anecdote, my daughter has a 20-year-old Suburban with auto temp, bought new in '02 by another family member. The control module in that vehicle is identical in appearance to our Blazers, and it's never given a moments' trouble. So I'd like to think they are at least capable of being reliable and long lasting.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:02 PM
Beginning Member

All of the eBay modules were accepted as returnes. The pictures showed the correct part number but each one sent was to a 99 Blazer. A different part number. I like eBay but I gave up and called the wrecking yard directly and made sure they sent the correct part number. Problem solved. Part was 85.00 plus shipping.

I think the reason the part failed is due to living in a moist climate. I have had other electrical issues moisture related. Blazer only though.

JM