Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Can we get an "official" LED thread going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Can we get an "official" LED thread going? *PICS ENCOURAGED*

Not sure if anyone else is interested in this, but I've completely fitted the interior with natural white LED/SMD and even the license plate.

I want to do the headlights and tail lights and parking lights.

I have bought all my lights from ebay, usually from china/korea as they are usually $1.00. Only bad thing is they take a long time to ship usually if not always.

If you have any questions about the brightness just ask.

I apologize if there is already a thread like this.

Identify your vehicles bulbs

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

the site I use to look the number up

http://www.superbrightleds.com

For example, in a 96 jimmy and 2003 sonoma and I'm sure just about every other looking blazer/jimmy/sonoma, "194" is the bulb used in the glove compartment, ash tray, license plate, floor/foot lights, the push button lights that you can position and possibly some others.

Search "194 LED" and you will get the idea.

I personally don't use anything but natural white, but you may want to keep the yellow color or go with the blue tint. (personally hate these)

Here are some pics making it easy to see the different colors of LED's for your liking

Last edited by 96jimmyslt4x4; 02-27-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Every light in my first gen except the head lights and reverse lights are LEDs.

I get mine from over seas and have never had any major problems.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by neo71665
Every light in my first gen except the head lights and reverse lights are LEDs.

I get mine from over seas and have never had any major problems.
Got any pictures?

Here are some pics of when I first got the dome light installed.

Last edited by 96jimmyslt4x4; 02-27-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:11 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I removed the factory light sockets from below the dash and added 4 5mm led lights on each side of the foot well and a 12 inch light bar across the hump. The top is just factory 194 bulbs in the eyeball lights, removed the rear light in the overhead cause it was too bright with all the light. I also have some 12 inch LED bars I'm gonna install under the front seats for the rear pass foot wells just aint done it yet.

It lights up better than it seems, my camera just sucks.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

This is off of another forum

When it comes to leds, what does Gen3 really mean?

Light Emitting Diodes, those magical illuminating semiconductors, have been around now for more than four decades. In just the last ten years or so, the led has undergone a tremendous evolutionary transformation. Originally only able to produce light in the red wavelength, they can now produce nearly any color in the spectrum. In addition, the achievable power levels of leds have increased exponentially. This has led to explosive growth in the emergency vehicle lighting (EVL) market.

The term “Gen1” generally refers to the traditional 5mm led which has been with us for most of the last forty years. The 5mm led typically has a light dispersion angle of approximately 10-15° but the overall light energy is relatively low. Because 5mm diodes were the only affordable option when emergency vehicle lighting began to incorporate them almost ten years ago, generating enough light to meet emergency vehicle lighting standards required using large number of these Gen1 leds to do so. This is why Gen1 products are made up of tens, if not hundreds of leds. Products based on the Gen1 led are economical to produce and therefore provide an affordable entry level option. However, it’s important to understand the inherent limitations of these lights. They have a very narrow angle of visibility and they tend to lose their effectiveness in bright sunshine.

The Gen2 led, also known as the Super Flux led, is widely used in automotive applications due to its higher energy output, much wider viewing angle and stout architecture. However, it did not find its way into many emergency vehicle lighting products. This can be attributed to both its size as well as the need to group large numbers of these leds together to produce a significant light output. Currently there are very few products using Gen 2 LEDs.

Today’s high tech leds come in a wide range of configurations. It’s no longer an apples to apples comparison. The reference to Gen3 is more akin to the fact that these new leds are able to operate at much higher energy levels for longer periods of time. This translates into a significant increase in light output. So it only takes a few of these high output leds to provide the required light output required for EVL. In addition, these leds have very wide viewing angles, in some cases as much as 160 degrees. Because of this, products utilizing these leds have a greater effective warning signal. The Gen3 moniker therefore, is a misnomer. A much more accurate classification of these leds is wattage. leds used in most EVL products are either 1w or 3w. Higher power levels have been developed, but the heat they generate is greater than can be effectively dissipated. This means that for the foreseeable future, this is where “Gen3” warning lights will remain.

What does all of this mean? In short, Gen1 products offer generally acceptable performance at an economical price point. Products such as the Hawk I and Hawk II provide an economical entry point for the first responder. Gen3 led products are the current industry standard. These products offer the greatest performance in light output and wide angle visibility. Dash lights, such as the Titan series, and grille lights, such as the TLED04 and RECT-14 are brilliant day or night. They provide the greatest level of visibility and when you get down to the heart of the matter, being seen is the key to being safe when responding. Conspicuity is the key and emergency vehicle lighting incorporating Gen3 leds are the best performer.

© Responder PSE

Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by neo71665
I removed the factory light sockets from below the dash and added 4 5mm led lights on each side of the foot well and a 12 inch light bar across the hump. The top is just factory 194 bulbs in the eyeball lights, removed the rear light in the overhead cause it was too bright with all the light. I also have some 12 inch LED bars I'm gonna install under the front seats for the rear pass foot wells just aint done it yet.

It lights up better than it seems, my camera just sucks.

man you gotta set the camera down and put the timer on, or use the flash

don't bother using a camera phone....

Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 96jimmyslt4x4
man you gotta set the camera down and put the timer on, or use the flash

don't bother using a camera phone....
or get a DSLR and set it to ISO 12800!

or tripod

this is what the rear bulb looks like for my blazer:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/5480974517/

Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
or get a DSLR and set it to ISO 12800!

or tripod

this is what the rear bulb looks like for my blazer:
Yeah those are "Festoon"

I put one of those in my dads 03 sanoma.

I didn't know they made these at first so I have these ghetto ones with too much wires, but they probably provide more light than a festoon could

And I think a DLSR is overkill

A point and shoot would be fine - entry level and just barely acceptable but at least it's not a camera phone

Old 02-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Starting Member

both of the LEDs i showed replace the same bulb, so i think u can get just as much light out of these as you can with the style you have, and no wires.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/5480974517/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/5308195411/http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/5308195411/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/clintonscanon/, on Flickr

for me i would never get anything BUT a DSLR now, im addicted.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/5426912663/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/5194537778/these are two of the thousands of pictures i have available online. the second one of the metal show there, no flash or anything, just a higher ISO and a handheld exposure fast enough (in the dark) to get that. sorry for size!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Starting Member

Damn I didn't know they made those huge festoons

I would rather have those then the wires I have now. I might try to sell them, but they are only $10 so it's not really worth it.

And I agree, DSLR's are awesome, but a bit pricey, with lenses and all...

For my needs, point and shoots seem to work well.

I do want to upgrade to something with more effective megapixels (and not just something that CAN shoot at 12mp, but actually lets me effectively zoom in clearly at 100%)

I'm on a nikon 3200 right now. I used to shoot at max 3mp but I realized I had to resize it to 1024x so I just shoot at that res now and it saves me space and time.

I have been looking into the nikon l22 at best buy, it's about $90 and looks like it would suit my needs.

Another thing, I need portability and the small enough size to fit in my pocket and go.

Quick Reply: Can we get an "official" LED thread going?