Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Diaita's HID Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:05 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough
Default Diaita's HID Retrofit

I finally decided to get serious and retrofit some HID projectors into my Blazer. It seems like a lot of retrofits I read about are a few years old, and technology and available parts has changed, making our life easier.

Anyway, I set out with a few goals in mind. Of course questions and suggestions are great as this is my first attempt.

-To stop hijacking others threads regarding HID and projectors, and pass on my experiences as I go.
-Far better light output. As most know, the factory headlights are marginal.
-Water resistant/proof. They will be submerged from time to time
-It must look factory quality.
-It can't be too difficult, again my first try.
-Cheap would be nice, but not a top priority.
-Unique. I don't want to completely follow someone's idea.

So. My first step was to see what others were doing, I started researching on what others had done. Lots of great ideas out there, no doubt, and a lot of passion for who feels there's is better. Not a lot of different ideas on S10s mind you.
First web site everyone should check out on retrofits is hidplanet.com! A lot of very, very knowledgeable people over there, and a lot are willing to give pointers to new enthusiasts like myself. That said, several guys here have helped steer me in the right direction also, thank you.

For my project, I decided to get a set of eBay projectors. Simple 9005 halogen bulb projectors so I had clear lenses ànd a deeper housing to fit new parts into.

Last edited by Diaita; 01-14-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 AM

I ordered a set of these today, 55W XB35 5000k bulbs with 5Five ballasts. Square lenses, and ocular shrouds. The Ebay lights came with LED halos, so if for some reason I want to try halos I have the option, DRLs perhaps.

I was going to go with the H1s until I talked to the guys at TRS, they were pretty convincing that I should try the D2S 3.0s. We'll see...

BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (D2S) 3.0

Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Ooh, I want to see the output of these. They put a s***ton of R&D into them so we'll see how they perform. The square lenses should look pretty bomb in the blazer head light housings too. And coming from someone with 55W projectors, I will say, you won't need any kind of off road lights after you're done.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 PM

Funny you say I shouldn't need more light. I installed a pair of Rigid D2s not long ago in the grille, and I'm contemplating 55W HID bulbs for my hi beams. I think I've talked myself out of a SR series light bar for the grille, but stay tuned, it's not off the table yet....

Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

I am tuned in, I want to do this as well

Old 01-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Apparently the projectors I ordered aren't shipping until the 20th... Gives me time to change the wiring for the lights to disable the DRLs, and wire in a + feed for the HIDs.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:22 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If you do decide on angel eyes, don't use the ones that came with the ebay housings. They suck and will fail quickly. If you can spare the cash, go with the xBled rings. I love mine, even with the relative dimmness of amber, they are still bright as fuu.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:36 PM

Maybe that's why my stuff hasn't shipped...So I can add the XB LEDs. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 PM
BF Veteran

Haha, glad I could help you hurt your wallet a little bit more.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
priesman64 is on a distinguished road

subscribed

Quick Reply: Diaita's HID Retrofit