Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

A different HID bulb question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 AM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough
Default A different HID bulb question

ok so maybe being a little **** retentive.

but any recommendations on which way to install the bulb? i.e. the white wire up down on the side etc.

My thoughts are to have the wire on top so that there is nothing blocking or diffusing the light on the bottom of the bulb where most of the light will be shining on the ground.
Although my other thought would be to have the wire on the bottom so that is exposed to less heat.

Does anyone prefer to put the bulb in a certain way?
Curious as to what everyone else with HID's has done and their thoughts on it!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the way the optics typically work, it isn't the bottom of the bulb that is shining on the ground, it is the top.

When I installed mine on my Rainier, I thought there was only one way they could go in. But that was quite a while ago...

Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 AM

touche, for longer range that is correct and what i just thought for a second in my head, for close range (which is totally useless when driving the opposit is correct).

But through the diffusion of the light in long range by reflecting i wouldnt imagine the slight blockage of light at the top to make any difference, and if at all noticeable would only be at short range.

(BTW clear lenses with no diffuser)

I believe that the HID bulb can be inserted at about 3 differnt angles, so going for long range i would assume that having the wire mounted at the bottom would be better, and also better as it would be exposed to less heat.

(in my mind this has to be a nearly pointless conversation, but interesting).

For those of you who had the choice at which way to insert the bulb where is the white wire on the bulb located?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Typically the bulb will have a stop so it can only be installed one way. There are some times when you want to have the return wire the opposite way it is designed to be. For my fog lights I removed the stop so the bulb can be rotated to allow for a little improved light output.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:11 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I have mine in projectors & yes the 'cut off' in the projector is at the bottom (which through diffusion) makes it at the top. For a bare eye to notice any difference at all with light output as to where that lil wire is you've been "rebuilt, better, stronger, faster" lol. For the heat you may be onto something but even that being said, in that little tube it's ALL going to be hot!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 AM

ya i was just curious as i had not noticed anyone talk about that before, even though its probably because it is pretty **** retentive, couldnt decide if you would notice the cut off first of all, and how far the short range of the bulb would be infront of the vehicle, i.e. which way you could notice the smallest amount of blockage of light...........(yes, that blockage is sooooo rediculously small it would be near impossible to notice, especially in a high beam)