Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

disable auto head lights? questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member
Chase Clouser is on a distinguished road
Question disable auto head lights? questions

Does any one no a quick way to diasble the auto head lights on an 01 zr2 blazer. for some reason my day time running lights are the dim bulbs, now this may be a zr2 thing but i dont no. I replaced my dims with HIDS and they dont like the low voltage of the running lights. Please help im tired of manually turning the autos off every time i get in.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

AHL & DRL are two entirely different things. And I don't think that the DRL's on the ZR2 are low voltage (aka headlights hooked up in series instead of parallel for full voltage).

Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Swartlkk is right. ZR2's are full voltage on the DRL's. To disable the DRL's for a ZR2 you must:
Pull up drivers side carpet under dash to about the seat. There will be a relay under there taped to the wiring harness. Cut the MIDDLE YELLOW wire and thats it.

To disable the AHL you must remove the passenger side speaker grille on the dash. you will have to disconnect the the sensor and replace it with a 2.2ohm 1/2 watt resistor. There is a write up about it with picture somewhere. Search it!

Hope this helps!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Beginning Member
Limeking is on a distinguished road

I know this is old but if the ZR2 low beams are full power would there be a negative effect on the HID lights? I just put some in and was wondering.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:06 AM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Swartlkk is right. ZR2's are full voltage on the DRL's. To disable the DRL's for a ZR2 you must:
Pull up drivers side carpet under dash to about the seat. There will be a relay under there taped to the wiring harness. Cut the MIDDLE YELLOW wire and thats it.

To disable the AHL you must remove the passenger side speaker grille on the dash. you will have to disconnect the the sensor and replace it with a 2.2ohm 1/2 watt resistor. There is a write up about it with picture somewhere. Search it!

Hope this helps!
Just wondering, when you place the parking brake on does it kill the DRLs? It does on thee 4 Dr. There is a switch located on the parking brake pedal assy. It's under the dash toward the "doorside". If you unplug it it may turn them off with out having to cut wires.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Limeking
I know this is old but if the ZR2 low beams are full power would there be a negative effect on the HID lights? I just put some in and was wondering.
No negative effect on HIDs brother!

Originally Posted by wrenchturner3529
Just wondering, when you place the parking brake on does it kill the DRLs? It does on thee 4 Dr. There is a switch located on the parking brake pedal assy. It's under the dash toward the "doorside". If you unplug it it may turn them off with out having to cut wires.
Yes parking brake will kill the DRLs but its up to you if you want to go unplugging things to do with your brakes. I have no idea if cutting or unplugging will do anything.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:48 PM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

No negative effect on HIDs brother!

Yes parking brake will kill the DRLs but its up to you if you want to go unplugging things to do with your brakes. I have no idea if cutting or unplugging will do anything.
Just to clarify, my response was related to your post for cutting the yellow wire under the carpet to disable the DRLs. I was not recommending cutting the switch wire. I was only referencing disconnecting the switch on the parking brake as an alternative to cutting wiring, I would not recommend tampering with or disabling service brake components. As the parking brake is manually activated and deactivated unplugging the switch would not affect service brake application.

Curiosity was killing me so I had to go verify my proposal of disconnecting the parking brake switch. With the parking brake applied, the DRLs are off (as discussed) and the dash parking brake light is on. When the parking brake switch is disconnected, the DRLs stay on and the parking brake light is on. So disconnecting the parking brake switch would not disable the DRLs

Last edited by wrenchturner3529; 05-21-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: phont size pasted to small
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchturner3529
Just to clarify, my response was related to your post for cutting the yellow wire under the carpet to disable the DRLs. I was not recommending cutting the switch wire. I was only referencing disconnecting the switch on the parking brake as an alternative to cutting wiring, I would not recommend tampering with or disabling service brake components. As the parking brake is manually activated and deactivated unplugging the switch would not affect service brake application.

Curiosity was killing me so I had to go verify my proposal of disconnecting the parking brake switch. With the parking brake applied, the DRLs are off (as discussed) and the dash parking brake light is on. When the parking brake switch is disconnected, the DRLs stay on and the parking brake light is on. So disconnecting the parking brake switch would not disable the DRLs
Sorry, Misunderstood on my part. I'm glad you weren't tampering with your brakes! Just peel back the carpet. It wont be bad but I tried in the middle winter lol. I was frustrated. I never actually found the relay so if you do post it up!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member
drovemychevytothelevy is on a distinguished road

Hope this helps!
i have an 01 blazer not the zr2 i wanna disconect the drl i want to turn my lights on and off maually i hate when the lights are allways on even at night i want to turn them on and off is it the same thing as the zr2? i assume so

Old 06-04-2011, 02:32 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Why would you want to make it so your headlights are off at night?

Quick Reply: disable auto head lights? questions