Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

dome lights wont go off.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Beginning Member
cardude59 is on a distinguished road
Default dome lights wont go off.

i have a 93 blazer lt tahoe. when i install the dome light fuse the lights will not turn off. i have disconnected the door switches and the lights stay on. i have inspected the dimmer switch for melted or corroded connector and its ok too. my question is is there a dome light relay/module that keeps the lights on for several seconds after the door is opened and closed. ie: a dome light delay controller? if there is does any one know where it might be located? has anyone come across this concern before? have any suggestions? any help would be great thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member
sinnervision is on a distinguished road

ive been having the same issue with my 04 blazer xtreme. at rare times, i can stick the fuse back in and nothing will be wrong. later on, ill be driving down the road and the dome lights will come back on and stay on. so now the fuse always stays out. really wish i could find whats causing this. i hate not having dome lights! >:/

Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you made sure the switch for the light inside the hatch is off?

Only the very front lights stay on for 20-30 secs or so after you open/close the door, not the dome light.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
Have you made sure the switch for the light inside the hatch is off?
This is the problem I have. If the button behind the glass pops too far forward the gate will close, but the dome stays on. When I open the glass I have to make sure the button is sitting proper before I close the hatch.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ that's what i was gonna suggest as well 98HC.

my brother's '94 Jimmy has the same delay on the interior lights (mirror only for the delay). not sure where the module is. yet.

does anyone know if the late 1st gens (like the '93/'94's) have similar switches in the door latch, like our newer 2nd gens?

i'm only asking 'cause my wife had the same issue happen to our Buick, a couple of weeks ago. nothing like getting woke up 1 1/2 hours after you hit the sack 'cause the dome light is stuck on when she's leaving for work.

turned out that when the door froze on her, the door latch has a switch on it as well, and when she pulled hard on the door handle to open it, it pushed the rod past it's normal travel, over extending the switch. minor adjustment (the next day) and it was good as new.

could be similar inside your 1st gen. never had a '93 or '94 1st gen apart before, so i'm only taking a guess.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Beginning Member

the first gens do not have switches in the door latches. they have the old school push buttons mounted in the door jambs. i have not checked the hatch switch yet--good idea! but i would still like to know if there is and where is the delay module. thanks for responding all .

Old 01-21-2011, 05:00 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, i didn't think they had those latch switches like my Buick does. the latches look the same, that's why i asked.

you should also pull each pin switch out, make sure none of the wires have fallen off & made contact with the cab. driver's pin switch has 2 wires, the passengers has only 1. just incase you didn't know.

keep us posted.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I believe Lee_anne Bravada was referring to the switch on the rear dome light. My 94 Blazer and 84 Jimmy both have the switch. Take a look at the rear dome light just ondide the rear glass. Some didn't have it but most do. If it's on both dome lights will be lit as well as others. You could also have a dppr switch problem. Let us know. There is no delay for the dome lights, just for the map lights in the mirror if you have that option.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 01-21-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Beginning Member

ok time for an update. i do not have any switches in the tail gate for the dome lights. the only thing in there is the glass release(which is on the same fuse-so that does not work either) i do have the map light option. i have pulled all the door jam switches and found no problems there. what is the dppr switch? if that is the dimmer above the headlight switch, i have checked that and it is fine. i also want to thank all of you for these ideas, it is a great learning tool..keep them coming it is still not fixed yet.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member

lee_anne was right in some repects. i checked the rear cargo light and found that the switch was on but the bulb was burned out. i turned the switch off and my dome lights work normally now! thanks to everyone for there help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dome lights wont go off.