Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Double Whammy Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:02 PM
BigBlackBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Double Whammy Lighting

I have two lighting questions and didn't want to take up forum space-

1. Does the stock electrical system on my 02 Blazer provide enough power to run 2 KC, Hella, or similiar offroading lights?

2. I want to buy some T10/194 LED Lights to replace the glovebox, dome, license plate, and footwell lights. What style do I need- Wedge type? Also, what would you suggest? 360 degree vs. 120 degrees? natural white vs warm white? any particular brands? any thing else to look for?

Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

1. Yes I powered 5 ProComp 55w on my stock system. I have since upgraded my alt but it was fine before the upgrade. Pics in the last couple pages of my build thread of you want to see the output. And I only paid $20 a piece for my lights!

2. Not a clue sorry

Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

2. Yep Wedge 194 LEDs will be perfect. As for quality and color totally up to you. I have cool white but again its all personal preference. some guys like blue or red for accent lighting. As for 360 or 120 I would go with 360. just because when you install them you will them you will need side facing LEDs not just the ones on the "top" of the bulb, if that makes sense. You can get them cheap from Ebay or a little more expensive but better quality from superbrightled.com or v-leds.com As for the footwell lights, I would hardwire flexible LED strips instead of replacing bulbs. MUCH better light output. I have some posted a HOW-TO when I did mine. https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...nterior-54173/ If you have anymore questions feel free to ask

Old 09-21-2013, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You can do the 160* bulbs that are the 'top firing' type for the dome lights, but like hchawks said, the rest need to be at least side firing. There is a thread that is stickied at the top of this section with information on led swaps.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 PM
BigBlackBlazer is on a distinguished road

HCHawks- That's awesome! I wonder how I could wire a strip of those in the cargo area, under the hood, or in the grill

Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by BigBlackBlazer
HCHawks- That's awesome! I wonder how I could wire a strip of those in the cargo area, under the hood, or in the grill
Same concept. The hood and cargo area would be the easiest since there is already existing lights there. You would just tap into the stock wires as normal. The grill is SLIGHTLY more difficult but only because you would either have to tap onto the battery, or tap into a running light that you want it to run parallel with. In either scenario I would wire in a switch so you have the option to turn it off.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Thogert
You can do the 160* bulbs that are the 'top firing' type for the dome lights
I may have different dome lights but my bulbs install horizontally therefore top firing bulbs wouldn't work for me. My dome lights are in the Information center/sunroof control module.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:45 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Oops, forgot the newer ones don't have the little light pods that are aimable.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM
melliferal is on a distinguished road

Since the original questions have been addressed, I thought I'd throw in one of my own instead of starting a whole new thread, if that's all right.

On the driver side window controls for my 4-door, in the dark the backlight bulb is just visible in the tiny gaps between the window buttons and the trim panel they are set in - this looks kind of tacky. Is there some trick others are already using to occlude this "leaking" light so that only the buttons glow like they're supposed to? Will a new switch block fix this or is it going to have the same problem?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:22 PM
BF Veteran

I had to put black electrical tape in mine to keep if from bleeding. There should be a little rubber piece that blocks most of it, so add a bit of tape where it bleeds and it should do the trick.

Quick Reply: Double Whammy Lighting