Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

DYI PCM Tuning and flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 09:53 PM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

There should also be fuel trim tables that would have to be addressed also.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:57 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Yes, that there is Haven't bothered playing with those. Although I may get into that later on to help compensate for the K&N intake and the more free flowing exhaust on the truck. I'm clueless when it comes to that, so I don't want to royally screw up my A/F ratios, and I don't have a wide band to put on it, although that wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the downstream O2 sensor with one now that I have it disabled lol.

I AM playing with shift points a little though. Hate that the truck constantly shifts in in and out of 3rd and 4th when cruising through town and I hit the slightest hill... it'll sometimes shift from 4th to 2nd just to get up a small hill... Between that and the converter lockup going on and off, it's in and out of gear constantly... and I know it's because of the 31's on the stock gearing lol.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:08 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

You could try looking at making some changes to your torque management system. Just an idea.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by eshaw
You could try looking at making some changes to your torque management system. Just an idea.
From what I understand, that's just for active traction control, which the Blazer is not equipped with anyway?

Old 01-23-2021, 09:34 PM

Took it on it's first real drive today after playing with different re-tunes. Got the speedometer almost dead on now, so that's nice lol.

After playing with shift and converter lock up points, I've got the Blazer to FINALLY cruise through town up and down hills with the cruise set and not constantly shift in and out of gear, something that's been driving me nuts for YEARS!

I've got to readjust my 1-2 shift a little, it's shifting too early with low throttle input at low RPM. Makes for a nice smooth shift, but just feels like it shifts way too early. I did make some changes to the wide open throttle shift points. If I were to get on it hard, it seemed like it always would tap out at like 5500-6000 and hang there FOREVER without really continuing to accelerate before finally shifting. I lowered the RPM and speed that it's suppose to shift at when at WOT, and now it shifts earlier at WOT and while still in the power band.

So making some more minor adjustments to the speedometer calibration and the 1-2 shift and I'll see how that works out.

Once I get those dialed in, I MIGHT start looking into actual performance tuning a little if I can get the live data logging up and running (haven't messed with that yet). I never really planned on playing with it, but what the heck lol. If I can unlock a little more power for free just with a little fiddling around with #'s, then I'll give it a shot! May be worth while with the intake and exhaust that's installed. But I'll probably have to wait until I put a wide band O2 sensor in it to get that dialed in. There's not a hole lot of info that I can find online about tuning the 4.3, it's mostly centered around the various LS engines that these same PCM's are used on...

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 01-23-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:46 PM

Well I've been driving on the flashed computer for a week now. So far so good! Speedometer is dead on so that's nice. Got the shift points a little better I think, but the 1-2 shift is still very slow and soft, but I don't think there much I can do about that with tuning software, thinking about going the route of the Corvette servo install for that. Best part so far though, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! LOL

​​​​​​Eventually I'll get that dang airbag to stay off too...

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 01-29-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Thats awesome!

So what are looking at for one of these flashed ecms? lol

Between all the side projects you got, I'm sure you can start a blazer related company!

Old 01-29-2021, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by DonL
Thats awesome!

So what are looking at for one of these flashed ecms? lol

Between all the side projects you got, I'm sure you can start a blazer related company!
Lol sometimes my mind outruns my abilities...

Old 01-30-2021, 10:29 AM
Starting Member
03jawja is on a distinguished road

Blazen performance pcms ..sounds like a business venture 🙂🙂

Old 02-09-2021, 09:47 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
From what I understand, that's just for active traction control, which the Blazer is not equipped with anyway?
torque management is not just for traction control, although it is used as part of the trac control system on some vehicles.

torque management pulls timing during shifts, to keep the engine at lower torque while shifting and keep it from putting as much strain on the trans. some people zero out their torque management charts to entirely disable, but from my understanding this WILL result in an early demise of your trans- especially in trucks. cars and vehicles with built trannys are not as effected by the elimination of tq management. but theres a lot of conflicting info out there on it.

ive been working on the tune for my blazer lately, and what i did is reduce the torque management charts (on both the engine and trans side) by 50%. havent tested it yet, but it should help me keep power thru shifts while still erring on the side of caution, and keeping the safety feature in place to maintain the longevity of the trans. i also bumped my shift pressure to 96, as well as a few other things to go along with it.
im using HP Tuners to edit the tunes.

Quick Reply: DYI PCM Tuning and flashing