Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

E brake panel light

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Starting Member
nomoresubies is on a distinguished road
Default E brake panel light

When setting the E brake, where is the sensor that lights up the dash light? Looked down by the foot pedal but don't see anything. Can it be adjusted? What I am trying to do is eliminate constant-on daytime driving lights and I know that when the E brake is partially set they will stay off.
Thanks.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:38 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

The park-brake warning switch is just one of the inputs to the BCM that will control what state the headlights are in. I had thought I could fool the BCM into thinking that the park-brake was set in order to keep the lights out but after I looked into it, I realized there was more too it than that. This investigation led to the creation of the following wiring diagram so I could try to understand it all.

My best composite schematic for the lights control for a 1999 LT Blazer with fog-lights.

A possible way to keep the DRL and headlights off. I have not tried this yet.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:10 AM
Starting Member

Currently, if I push the parking brake in just a inch or so, which does not affect the actual setting of the brake because I just adjusted them, I can start the vehicle and the lights stay off. However, the brake warning light is on. I am trying to figure out WHERE the parking brake switch physically is. The bottom left of your diagram shows this as an independent switch. It is that switch which I am seeking. All else being equal, I got dizzy looking at your wiring diagram...lol On a side note; I have a 1970 Buick that I am working on and have been tracing all sorts of wiring diagrams similar to that which you uploaded so am familiar with those kinds of optical dillussions...LOL...
Many times there is a simple mechanical switch near the pedal but so far I have not seen one. Was afraid it might be integrated with the ABS system but your diagram implies differently...

Old 01-31-2019, 11:33 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

You can just remove the actual bulbs too eliminate the day time lights if you want too... That is what I did on my Blazer...

Old 01-31-2019, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by nomoresubies
Currently, if I push the parking brake in just a inch or so, which does not affect the actual setting of the brake because I just adjusted them, I can start the vehicle and the lights stay off. However, the brake warning light is on. I am trying to figure out WHERE the parking brake switch physically is. The bottom left of your diagram shows this as an independent switch. It is that switch which I am seeking. All else being equal, I got dizzy looking at your wiring diagram...lol On a side note; I have a 1970 Buick that I am working on and have been tracing all sorts of wiring diagrams similar to that which you uploaded so am familiar with those kinds of optical dillussions...LOL...
Many times there is a simple mechanical switch near the pedal but so far I have not seen one. Was afraid it might be integrated with the ABS system but your diagram implies differently...
I went to gmpartsexperts.com and searched for my year Blazer "park brake warning switch" and got this result. https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/search...warning+switch

The first item in the list was the "park brake control" , pn 15016010 which is the parking brake pedal assembly.

When I did a search for that part number I found several hits and some of them showed what looked to be a switch of sorts in the pictures. Here is a link to one of them:

https://www.findlayautoparts.com/oem...SABEgJ2DPD_BwE

This might be what you are looking for.

There was also this part Park Brake Cable Retainer Part Number: 26082804 that in the drawing of the part looked to have some electrical switch thing going on.

If you do similar searches on your own you might find better information. Keep us posted.

Good Luck!

Old 01-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Starting Member

You're sure good at this, Christine. Thanks again. That image gives me a clue...

Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by nomoresubies
You're sure good at this, Christine. Thanks again. That image gives me a clue...

It is a gift. I guess this explains my like of scavenger hunts. LOL