Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

ebay led drl bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 AM
jtbwatson is on a distinguished road
Default ebay led drl bulbs

I just bought some cheapo ebay LED 9005 bulbs to put in my high beam spot. I never use the high beams on my car to begin with and plus I hate our stock DRLs because they're pretty crappy.

Something that I thought about AFTER my purchase is that the bulbs say 12v DC but to my knowledge our high beam bulbs only receive 6v while they're being used as high beams.

Will I be able to use these as DRLs by just plugging and playing into the 9006 socket? I mean they were 8 bucks and free shipping so it's not too big of a deal if I have to cut and splice some wires.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:20 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

If you hate the DRL's now, just wait until you put the plug and play LED's in there. It will be worse, but that being said, they will work.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:20 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You will need to wire them to get 12v though. The 6v the stock drls get will not work.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
You will need to wire them to get 12v though. The 6v the stock drls get will not work.
Right. I'm wanting to know if there's an easy way of doing this that doesn't involve me splicing a 9005 connector to the power wire of the side marker. That's what I've done with my halos before and it's not really an issue but Id rather use the stock connectors. Or I can just ride around in the daytime with my high beams on lol

Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Riding with the high beams on would be the easiest way.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
Riding with the high beams on would be the easiest way.
Once they get here (sometime next week) I'll put them in and see how they do at 6v and 12v. And I'll try them in both sets of headlights that I have (you heard me. I like having an interchangeable front end) and see which looks best.

And I know this might be a bit of a stretch, but do you think that the DRL relay under the hood is replaceable? Basically it'd be the same thing but 12v instead of 6.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:00 AM
BF Veteran

Changing the relay wouldn't change the voltage. The relay feeds a separate wire set up 12v that has both bulbs in series instead of in parallel, which reduces the power by half.