Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Electrical disaster, fire, lights dont work now

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM
nepa zr2 is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical disaster, fire, lights dont work now

So....After installing my overhead aux lights everything was going fine and working perfectly. 3 days after using them for the first time I tried to use them again and they seemed to be working fine; then the rear ones died. I figured ground must have wiggled out or somthing while offroad. As I pulled into my drive way I tested the lights the best that I could but to no avail. The front lights worked fine, but nothing to the back. Then I noticed smoke pouring out of my dash. I killed the truck and disconnected the battery then took the dash apart to see the damage. The wire that went directly to my switches had completly fried and had nothing left. I hooked the battery back up but left the lights off the positive. Now I have no curtesy lights inside, no underhood light, 4wd buttons are not lit at all, and it seems to be running almost as if it is in 4lo but in 2wd. Very little "oomph" to the pedal but very torque-y. Does anyone have any ideas on a fix? Or at least one how to fix some of it? If possible a link to the wiring diagram would be appreciated so I can see what, if anything is damaged. Thanks Everyone

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM

Any Ideas anyone?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Pardon my bluntness...
Why the hell you need a link to a wiring diagram if you wired it as per the other thread.

There werent any factory lighting circuits involved, as far I can tell.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Check your fuses. Maybe the wire shorted with one of the wires in the dash.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Pardon my bluntness...
Why the hell you need a link to a wiring diagram if you wired it as per the other thread.

There werent any factory lighting circuits involved, as far I can tell.

I have no idea what went wrong with the wiring, I checked all fuses and none were blown. The main wire that burned was the one going from ignition to the switches. I followed the diagram exactly as it showed. As far as I can see none of the stock vehicle wires were damaged, but I still do not have lights. I seen the light behind the 2wd button blink once eariler today but instantly went back out.