Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

first offroad light install, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Beginning Member
Bigjoe1986 is on a distinguished road
Default first offroad light install, need help

I will be getting 4 42w round led lights Wednesday that I want to mount to a roof basket but since this is my first install I was wondering what size switch would I need if wiring all 4 together?

Also where the best place would be to run the wires inside for the switch, best place for a ground near the roof and what gauge wire should I use?

I did a search but wasn't able to really find anything to answer these questions

Thanks in advance

Old 08-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Beginning Member

Don't know if it will help any but here is the link to the lights I'm getting

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00JWG3...7MTSDGN7VY6JCE

Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

The lights only draw 42 watts each and you have four you'll be pulling 168 watts, which at 12 volts will only be 14 amps. Technically, if you could find a switch that could handle 20+ amps you'll be fine with that and a 15 amp fuse, maybe a 20 amp depending how good your battery holds a charge and how often it dips below the 12 volt mark. If I were you I would just go that route since it really isn't a whole lot of power being used. Other people might suggest a relay but that's really just overkill. So basically any switch that can handle 20+ amps and you'll be set.

I've always ran my wires through the predrilled hole in the firewall for the radio antenna, but it's really up to you how you do that.

As for the ground on the roof, that really depends on where you're putting the lights. On my basket I have the grounds connected to a bolt that connects the tailgate cable to the body of the truck. It's really personal preference. The closest place you can securely connect the ground works.

As for the gauge there are diagrams online that show the gauge you should use based on the load and length of wire.

Wiring lights isn't very hard, especially LEDs, just make sure you plan out what you're doing and have a solid grasp of your plan before you start. Hope this helped you find what you needed.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member

I have a brand new battery and alternator so there shouldn't be a problem there but because I have my subs in there also I will probably go with the 20 amp fuse.

I will be putting these 4 on the front of my basket and thought about maybe adding 2 floods mounted to the back corners on a separate switch for backing up. Thought about one centered but in my head it just didn't seem like it would look quite right.

Ill have a look for gauge ideas online and will have a look tomorrow after work where I can get a ground for them.

Im still pretty new to the blazer world (about 2 months in) but so far I love it compared the the POS 05 Chevy Colorado I had before this

Old 08-24-2015, 12:03 AM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Well you can definitely get an idea of what it would look like with three lights in the back by looking through my build thread.