Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member
95redblazerelectrwhiz is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump

Hey guys I had a quick question. Has anyone every years of the trailer lights being tied into the fuel pump circuit? I have had numerous problem when I plug in my trailer lights and my truck wont start. I narrowed it down that it was the fuel pump not turning on. Now last week my truck wouldn't start when I got out from work. Now having the problems I had before I went straight to the trailer wiring. I found that the ground for the trailer lights had broke due to corrosion. So I stripped it,reconnected the wire and truck fires right up. Has anyone heard of this?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:58 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 95redblazerelectrwhiz
Hey guys I had a quick question. Has anyone every years of the trailer lights being tied into the fuel pump circuit? I have had numerous problem when I plug in my trailer lights and my truck wont start. I narrowed it down that it was the fuel pump not turning on. Now last week my truck wouldn't start when I got out from work. Now having the problems I had before I went straight to the trailer wiring. I found that the ground for the trailer lights had broke due to corrosion. So I stripped it,reconnected the wire and truck fires right up. Has anyone heard of this?

Yes , My '95 2 door just recently started doing the intermittent connection thing where the trailer wire extension plugs into the truck wire harness - We've been getting alot of heavy rain every afternoon
(here in S.Florida) that may have forced the issue ... at first I went to the mini relays in the glove box but found a quick wiggle of the weather connector harness instantly brings the fuel pump to life . I'm thinking some di-electric grease to seal out moisture/water as a cure . Will test today

OK- got it done . Looks like on mine , the previous owner left the harness dangling and not completely snapped together either . There was no corrosion ... applied some D'lec grease and made sure the connector was fully seated . Also found the factory mount point to secure the harness/connector above the rear edge of the tank instead of hanging down exposed

Last edited by onebadsuv; 05-22-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member
95redblazerelectrwhiz is on a distinguished road

Do you know where they meet the fuel pump circuit at? I would like to just eliminate that problem and run them straight from the tail lights, or run all new wires from the beginning.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

I would suggest going to Your local pick-n-pull yard , find a suitable "donor" vehicle with nice , clean factory harness to replace the bad harness part in Yours ... cheap cost with best return to return factory running condition. If none (salvage yards) are local to You then consider other options.