Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Ghetto Rigged Battery Cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 AM
mikejsansone is on a distinguished road
Default Ghetto Rigged Battery Cable

I've been doing some searching on here and haven't been able to find anything relevant to what my problem is. So here it goes.

2001 4x4x4. Starter went out recently and today I finally got around to replacing it and the cables while I was underneath. The stock positive battery cable runs from the starter to the battery, branching off to a smaller gauge wire that connects to a fuse box underneath the battery tray, with another cable running to the alternator. I guess the previous owner didnt want to spend the $80 dollars for a stock replacement, so they bought a universal battery cable and spliced it open at the battery end. They also spliced the open the end of the stock cable that runs from the fuse box underneath to the battery. They then tied these cables together and used a terminal to tie it all together.

This setup has worked for the past 5 years that I have owned the truck, and being a broke college student, I was currently thinking of doing the same setup till I can buy the proper cabling. I bought a universal cable and tomorrow will try to replicate the setup. Besides the obvious draws, is there any other concerns I should be worried about? The blazer normally runs like a champ even with the previous ghetto cable scenario.