Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Hall effect passlock security question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 PM
RHW
Starting Member
RHW is on a distinguished road
Default Hall effect passlock security question

Howdy. Brand new member getting an education on Chevy’s Passlock system the hard way....🙄
I’ve tried to research this as much as I could before asking dumb or played out questions..yet here it is. My brother in law left his dead 1998 Blazer in my driveway, v6 4.3 Ltr. He lost the key and instead of taking the title to the dealership and getting a new key, he went ape on the steering column, drilling out the ignition cylinder housing from the top beyond all recognition. He never did get the lock cylinder out. I went to the dealership, got the key, went to the junkyard and and got a new lock cylinder housing, put it in with the original lock cylinder, went through the Passlock reset steps. The security system light went off, engine cranks, no spark at the coil, 12 volts at the ignition module, 60lbs pressure at fuel rail test valve.
whew. Sorry so long...here’s my questions...in the ignition cylinder housing there is a chip that picks up the movement of the key cylinder magnet as it turns. When I put in the new housing, as far as the system sees, it was like putting in a new column. Are the chip in the housing and the PCM paired up? Should the 30 minute reset have done the trick? If it is a problem with the security system wouldn’t it just kill power to the injectors (not to the coil) and the security light would still be on? Will Mama June ever find true love? Well...Dude, we just don’t know...