Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

halos and the law...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Blue thunder 2000 is on a distinguished road
Default halos and the law...

been wanting to get some new aftermarket headlights and i really want halos, angle eyes, whatever you want to call them. but im not sure how local GA law will take it. anyone ever have problems with the law and their headlights? and which ones do you recommend?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road

I've been searching for an answer to your question, I cannot find anything anywhere that says halos are illegal anywhere in the state of georgia. The only appearant illegal lighting in GA, any type of external blue lighting whether it be stationary, flashing, revolving or scanning. You should be good, besides, BMWs come with halos stock.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

There are cars that come from the factory with halos, so I doubt they are illegal. as for brand, try to find florescent halos, stay away from the cheap LED ones.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If you want to get led halos, go with the COB (chips on board) halos. You can get them at theretrofitsource.com and superbrightleds.com TRS also has the CCFL rings (what rich said) if you want those kind.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Thogert
If you want to get led halos, go with the COB (chips on board) halos. You can get them at theretrofitsource.com and superbrightleds.com TRS also has the CCFL rings (what rich said) if you want those kind.
ahh forgot about the COB halos, I was just thinking of the cheap plastic ring ones with 2 led's LOL

Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

friend of mine at work has those bright blue lights if thats what you guys are talking about. anyways about once a month he gets into some kinda confrontation due to some douchebag complaining about how bright they are. people have pulled over to yell at him, stopped in the middle of the road. ill usually just drive realllly slow if someone behind me has those things really bright or their brights on. so you have to take into consideration all the old geezers you are gonna irritate.... hmmm maybe i should get a set

Old 09-14-2012, 12:51 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Big, are you still talking about the halos? Because if you are I want a set that are that bright that offend people! Sounds more to me that a person has put HID's in a non HID headlight housing & the glare is (rightfully) outragious & pissing people off.

As for a halo around a light housing & as long as it's not meant to be a factory DRL, I see no issues.
Call the police, DMV or whom ever & ask, post the results.

As long as you don't ***** with the original DRL etc & the halo's are only minor, not flashing - you should be good.
But call local law enforcement/DOMV - Department of Motor Vehicles & ask - it's free!
Hell, stop a cop or ask one when you have the chance & ask what you're thinking about.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Big, are you still talking about the halos? Because if you are I want a set that are that bright that offend people! Sounds more to me that a person has put HID's in a non HID headlight housing & the glare is (rightfully) outragious & pissing people off.

As for a halo around a light housing & as long as it's not meant to be a factory DRL, I see no issues.
Call the police, DMV or whom ever & ask, post the results.

As long as you don't ***** with the original DRL etc & the halo's are only minor, not flashing - you should be good.
But call local law enforcement/DOMV - Department of Motor Vehicles & ask - it's free!
Hell, stop a cop or ask one when you have the chance & ask what you're thinking about.
i was hoping you would post here. somehow i keep getting errors when trying to message you. but it was your headlights in particular which i guess would be the example im trying to have of what i want

Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Why ty! I like them too (obviously).
I thought of a bit more in the realm of legallity. Johhny (Gio) has running lights etc but in NY he's only allowed to use them when he's on a country road or has 3 chickens in the back... something odd anyway, I can't remember what he said.
But IMO halos are just accents as long as your DRL's are working (if you need them in Georgia).
How many new cars & older modified cars with neon under them, LED accent lights etc? If you see a lot of them around where you live, I wouldn't worry.
But pick up the phone & call the local DOT ot police & ask.
It's a lot cheaper than a ticket & you'll be able to drive around feeling confident - legal wise.

Quick Reply: halos and the law...