Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Headlight Settings Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road
Default Headlight Settings Help

Hey guys, I've ALWAYS been confused with the lights panel and the three settings...

So, there is, let's say, position 1, 2, and 3.

When I first got this Blazer, I tested all 3 out, during the day, and during the night.
Position 1: DRL's
Position 2/3: Low beams (no difference between the two)
Both were the same for during the day/night.

Now, few months ago...
Position 1/2/3 daytime AND nighttime were all lows

Now, just today, as I was driving home IN THE DARK, I had it set to position 1, and out of nowhere, every headlight/DRL turns off and I nearly sh*t my pants considering I could not see a single thing while driving 65ish, so, I turn to position two... Incredibly dim lights (maybe the DRL's?), then I turn to position three, normal lows.

So, can someone please explain what each of the three positions are supposed to do during the daytime and nighttime?

Also, fun fact... For a while, leaving lights in position 3 and having door open would make it ding. Then, for a while, that dinging went away, and now, it's back again tonight. I've checked the connection between the panel/harness, no problems there.

Anyway, please and thanks.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out these pages from the 2002 Owner's Manual:

Attached Files
Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for those pages. I always forget to look at the manual.

So could this possibly be my sensor breaking or whatever activates by pushing the dome overdrive 4 times acting up?

Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The dome override trick doesn't work on all of them. Used to think it was the Canadian spec truck that had this feature turned off for some reason, but the more people that spoke up about it in a thread from a long while ago, the more random it appeared.

If your dome override button works properly (ie. turns off your interior lights so they don't come on when the doors are opened), then it likely isn't programmed to turn off the lights like others are.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Starting Member

Well, figured it out. The dome override trick does work on my Blazer, and it must be that thingymabob screwin' up. What is it that controls that with the 4 pushes?

Also, the dome override DOES work properly.

Thanks for the help.