Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Headlights vs Light bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member
hunter270270 is on a distinguished road
Default Headlights vs Light bar

Hey guys
I'm not happy with the amount of light coming off my blazer. I was thinking about getting a light bar and mounting it behind the grill. I also had the idea of getting better headlights like leds or hids. What would you rather go with and why?
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help

Old 02-26-2016, 01:16 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Don't think a light bar as driving lights are legal

Old 02-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

neither are plug in HID's, or LED's

I think LED's would be the least bad, but I'd just go with a good quality halogen.

Last edited by Jamaroon; 02-26-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I've been super happy with my HID retro (FXR's, oem 35w parts), way better lighting in every aspect. But HID's in reflector/stock housings is a big no no. Having said that, I do have 2 32", and 1 42" LED bars to install. However those will be for off road use ONLY, or when I see someone with PNP HID's

Old 02-27-2016, 08:21 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
I've been super happy with my HID retro (FXR's, oem 35w parts), way better lighting in every aspect. But HID's in reflector/stock housings is a big no no. Having said that, I do have 2 32", and 1 42" LED bars to install. However those will be for off road use ONLY, or when I see someone with PNP HID's
Thanks for the input. I dont know much about HID's, whats the reason you can't put them in a stock housing? About how much did yours cost?
Thanks

Old 02-27-2016, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Absolutely never use LED's in your headlights. They have not come nearly far enough to make anything worth a damn in the aftermarket scene unless you retrofit some LED lights from a car that came from the factory with them. You will blind people most likely worse than you would with HID's in the housing.

You cant put either HID or LED into stock housing because they distribute light differently, their light needs to be focused. Where the stock housing was designed to properly aim the halogen bulb in the area it need to be with the various reflection points and the way the bowl is shaped.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:41 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

^That. I'm into the parts for about $500. However it can be done for less money now as parts are more readily available reasonably priced.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

I really appreciate the help. I'm going to do some pricing for both options and go from there. Will the housings say they are made for HID's/ led?
Thanks for eveyone's help

Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You wont find a housing made to just install in a blazer that is made for HID or LED. Sellers, especially on ebay will say that it is indeed made for LED or HID and even sell a LED or HID bulb light kit with it, but its not made for those bulbs and they are just trying to get you to buy the product.

The only way to get LED or HID bulbs in a housing is to retrofit them in there (taking the housing apart, and installing HID projectors, or figuring out how to install LED projectors for a new car that came from the factory with them)

A good sit to visit is www.hidplanet.com

Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Do you have pictures of the retrofit?

Quick Reply: Headlights vs Light bar