Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Help with rear brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Beginning Member
tjmicsak is on a distinguished road
Default Help with rear brake lights

2000 Blazer.
I just had new rear brakes put on today. My son is following me home and noticed a tail light out. When I checked them the tail lights are working but no brake lights, however the roof line over-the-tailgate bar IS working. Changed all the bulbs and still nothing, then I checked the fuse in the under the hood box marked stop lights and that was also good. R and L turn signals ARE working. It's only the brake lights.
If it were the pedal switch I would think the tail bar would also be out, so I am stumpped here.
Any other fuses I should be looking at?

Last edited by tjmicsak; 05-17-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fiddle with your hazard switch. If that allows them to work even for a bit, you might be able to get away with a relatively simple and cheap repair (see the tech article index link in my signature below).

The lower brake lights use the same filaments as the turn signals. The brake light switch on the pedal assembly is working since it feeds both the CHMSL (center high mount stop lamp) and the feed in to the multifunction switch.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Beginning Member

Yep I did that and it seems to be the hazard switch-which I tried to use earlier in the day when my ball joint went, but that's another story.
I'll try the fix you suggest and also scanned the internet for the hazard switch but only see a turn switch. Is it all one switch so replacing the run switch will do it all?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the shortcut and link Swartlkk. It's not busted off but I'll grab a replacement and pop it out and back in.
Let everyone know tomorrow how it goes. One thing I'll add though is that I had noticed in the past I couldn't just "lean" on the turn signal to turn left in order to get that momentatry flash for turning. Right worked fine but in order to signal and get any lights previous to all this I had to "click" the signal arm completely. Maybe this is all related in the one hazard copper contact triangle groupings.

Last edited by tjmicsak; 05-17-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Beginning Member

Another Hazard switch issue completed. THe switch now cost $18.33 at the dealer. Also I was not able to pull the entire switch through the trim opening. I just took a razer knife and enlarged it a bit where needed, so the quick fix will work on an owned vehicle but not on a service or repair for some one elses vehicle. On my 2000 the trim is a tight fit around the push button itself so no way I was gonna get the switch body out. I tried and was fighting the steering trim lifting up and the horn honking and no go, so be prepared. Taking 1/8" off two sides is barely noticeable anyway and I'll be good to go the next time. Thanks again to this forum for great information and assistance.
One thing I'd like to add is that I did still use a screwdriver behind the switch to get it lifting out. Some guys having trouble using the quick fix method may be having a hard time because of the clip still being in place. A simple twist of the screwdriver and it lifts right up-if it would fit through the trim. I also note the picture in the other quick fix thread shows the hole with only the switch button plunger removed, not the whole switch body.

Last edited by tjmicsak; 05-18-2011 at 01:39 PM.