Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

hid/fog light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Starting Member
jayj99jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default hid/fog light

i want to put hid bulbs in the stock integrated foglight housing of my 2nd gen jimmy headlights. ive decided not to bother trying to mess with the factory switch install and figuring out the wiring because i cant get enough information and im tired of looking. so i guess i need to buy a relay harness? i just plan on buying a regular 35w hid kit from a local shop near me. these are 60$ kits and i have one set for headlights right now and they work great, no flickering, etc. so i plan on getting another one with 880 bulb size so i can install them into the factory integrated fog light slot. my question is there a way to find out what size relay my relay harness should have, what amp fuse etc? ive never done this before however i have installed many mobile audio products in various vehicles and am relatively good with wiring up things. just want to mek sure it doesnt melt or blow fuses or do any stupid crap.

right now i have a factory relay and fuse in my underhood fuse box, and am not sure whether i can just install the fog light switch and figure out where the wires are hidden or whatever to use factory setup. i think i can do it easily, but i just cant get the information i need and im tired of researching it.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You can't just get a foglight switch and plug and play. You would have to have your computer reflashed to make your fogs work. You would be better off running your own switch and wiring.

I have also heard that it's not a good idea to put hids in really small fog light housings due to exssesive heat build up. And the factory jimmy fog lights are the smallest fogs I've ever seen, so be careful with that.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Starting Member

hmm, what about the led bulbs you see on ebay that fit the factory plug. heat would be significantly less, and probably have a better color spectrum than standard bulbs. regardless of bulb i choose (probably not hid now) is there an amperage/volt rating the wire harness/switch kit i buy needs to have for regular 880 halogens? i just want to make sure the kit i buy from oriellys or wherever i find one is sufficient. i mean, im sure the relay is 20amp or more, i would hope. but even 20 should be more than enough?

ive actually been googling this for a long time now, and now i dont know who to believe. some people say hid bulbs produce less heat, some say more heat, some say roughly the same. another guy has a video of an infrared thermometer checking 50w hid fogs and regular 55w halogen and they were almost exactly the same.

the headlight housings im running are from ebay, they were like $68 for the pair. they look excellent, much much nicer than my original faded sun damaged ones. and they seem solid. regardless, if i melt them, im not out a huge amount of money, just a hassle. obviously im not interested in throwing money away, but ive heard every possible answer for whether hid put out more heat than halogen. and i dont take information from hid kit sellers

Last edited by rriddle3; 12-07-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well you could do leds, but they will not put out nearly enough light to do you any good. On my hid kit my fuse is a 20A and they are 55w hids, so you should be good with that.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Starting Member

when i look online for a relay harness that has an 880 connector for the fogs since the fogs are 880 bulbs, all i get are hid/xenon relay harness kits. are these the same as non hid kits?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 PM
BF Veteran

You could probably alter them a little if needed. Or you could just buy a relay and wire and some blade connectors and a switch, and wire it by yourself.